Science Earthquakes, volcanoes, oh my

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by oldfisherman, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    If they won't wear a mask then I figure they won't stand in a doorway during an earthquake especially if you told them it was the safe thing to do and you are a known Democrat.
    Try telling the fuckers the Earth is round and they know you to be a Democrat.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Hows it going Fish!

Any links to any of this? Id love to read up on it.

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Too bad there aren't any earthquakes in asshole posts. One cold look at it as improved selection....

Why you would need to take something like this into the political arena is ridiculous....
    Mother nature doesn't see politics... or asshole posts....

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Youda thunk Ida learnt to read on, before commenting on the first post. LOL.

So seems to me this may be a good thing overall though right?

A bunch of small releases vs one giant one?

5. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Howdy big guy. Good to yak with you again.

Short answer to your question, yes.

I hate to speculate, but since you asked. My gut guess is, the worst is over, for now. This is still a very fluid situation that not over, so anything is possible. But the trend is moving the needle to the safer zone.

I am no expert, my next opinion is pure bullshit, don't know what I am talking about speculation, with NO scientific mention anywhere I can find, let alone backed up by research.

All this recent earthquake activity around the Pacific crust "may be" the result of global warming.

We know the ice caps are melting. Water is heavy. The weight on the crust has been reduced at the poles. Much of this water weight has moved to the largest body of water, the Pacific ocean. This has increased the weight on the crust.

Just maybe the Pacific crust is settling from the extra weight, instead of shifting?

Removed the radiation alert in Europe. Someone had the wrong settings and was reading the polution alerts, but thought it was set to radiation, which makes sense now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp25137453/earth-swallowing-ocean/

Haakzilla and oldfisherman like this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

yeah, that sounds plausible. Though the oceans also move and its weight shifts. Maybe part of the pendulum creating this?

i remember watchign a show some years back saying that us in the nw are about as protected as we can get overall. We have the pacific rim and the volcanos but our crusts are very thick and the mountains snd coastal range make our area not as “loopy”

its why our earthquakes shake, Instead of roll also that tsunamis will typically break up due to the puget sound snd coastal range.
    Basically the show said aside from a complete breakdown in the plates, we are in one of the safest places to endure a tectonic shift.

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

you think so?

guy comes into a non political thread and basically says he wants mother nature to wipe out all republicans... possibly just because a republican started the thread?
    He added nothing to it and just derailed it with political bs In a non political thread.
    Im not being any harsher to him then he has been to me.
    he also went into the prediction thread and tried to get me riled up.
    He is trolling...

and then claims innocent when he gets in trouble or people go after him. Its pathetic Lanny.
    Ill let it go. But im not being harsh at all. Im being real.

9. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

it has to be exceptionally intensive, (+5.0) or of exceptionally long duration before it gets any attention here, location is very important also (proximity). the last one of consequence as far as damage and attention grabbing was in 2006 and occurred offshore of the kohala district, the Northwest channel area between Hawaii and Maui. shook everything for around 20 seconds or so. even that one had very little impact on the east side of the island. was a magnitude 6.2 IIRC.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

calm before the storm?

11. lawai'a

Pele is in the Christmas spirit decorating our nightime sky with a light show!
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ii-s-big-island-before-earthquake/ar-BB1c6qDC
    [​IMG]

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) — The Kilauea volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island has erupted, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

A magnitude 4.4 earthquake hit about an hour after the volcano began erupting.

By 1 a.m., USGS officials told Hawaii News Now that there were reported lava fountains shooting about 165 feet (50 meters) into the sky and feeding a growing lava lake within the crater that used to hold water.

David Phillips, a Hawaiian Volcano Observatory spokesman, said the agency was monitoring the situation.

"We will send out further notifications on Kilauea and other Hawaiian volcanoes as we observe changes,” he said.

The USGS said it received more than 500 reports of people who felt the earthquake but significant damage to buildings or structures was not expected.

An advisory was issued by the National Weather Service in Honolulu, warning of fallen ash from the volcano. Excessive exposure to ash is an eye and respiratory irritant, it said. The agency later said the eruption was easing and a “low-level steam cloud” was lingering in the area.

Kilauea erupted in 2018, destroying more than 700 homes and spewing enough lava to fill 320,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools. An area more than half the size of Manhattan was buried in up to 80 feet (24 meters) of now-hardened lava. The lava flowed over the course of four months.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    riverman, SlyPokerDog and Hoopguru like this.
  12. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Yeah good one. Or we could just say natural selection is working fine the way it is.

*Yellowstone explodes*

Orion Bailey and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I’ve heard that if Yellowstone ever does explode it will make Krakatoa look like a pimple, and that the entire west will be impacted in an absolutely major way. Let’s hope it keeps the pop in the bottle for a few more centuries.......

14. lawai'a

USGS Cam...
    The Eye of Pele...

[​IMG]

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Have they tried some Visine?

(That is gorgeous BTW, thanks for posting it.)

lawai'a likes this.
  16. lawai'a

wife and gal pal were there last night but the SO2 levels in the park were too high for viewing.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. oldfisherman

Good time for an update.

Mt Etna in Sicily has become more active and put on a nice lava show. There is a good video on youtube

Volcanoes in Barbados and Guatemala also more active, putting on small shows

Earthquake activity is still higher than normal, in many areas of our world. But below serious danger levels. For now.

Orion Bailey and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

My house sits on top of the Hayward fault.

Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Stay safe brah!

lawai'a likes this.
  20. oldfisherman

Just checked, your fault has been quiet. Bay area relatively quiet, just a few very small quakes.

There have been swarms of small quakes in S CA, going on for a month now.

One med size quake off the OR. coast on the San Andeas fault, a couple of days ago.