Free Agent Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Jul 9, 2021.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...owry-demar-derozan-emerge-as-pivotal-dominoes

There's a lot of stuff here by the way:

• Gorgui Dieng has generated interest from the Suns and Spurs at around the biannual exception amount of $3.7 million.
    • Andre Iguodala appears to be one of the veterans that Golden State CEO Joe Lacob hinted at possibly joining the Warriors. League sources also told B/R that forward Paul Millsap would be amenable to joining Golden State or returning to Atlanta at the taxpayer mid-level ($5.9 million).
    I'd be fine with both of those deals for us....

2. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but if his trade value is that poor, perhaps there is nothing he can do now. There is no guarantee that the Detroits of the world would even be interested in a CJ+picks package for Grant, or Sacramento in a CJ+picks for Barnes, or Dallas even in a CJ+picks for Porzingis (yuck!). I think it's likely that we will see a future first go out at some point over the next month (if not with CJ than with DJJ), but my greater point is that Neil's primary failure is in the lead up to this summer rather than any lack of action this summer.

3. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Just going to say just cause you do not hear stuff like -- Pdx interested in player XX -- does not mean NeO is sitting in his office playing the Nintendo Switch or something -- LOL

RR7 likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

You might not but Dame explicitly said that he did not think that was enough. He was asked a question if keeping the current team or at least the core of the team and seeing how much impact Chauncey can have with that group would be good enough for him. He answered that Chauncey might be the greatest coach of all time but when he looks at the roster, no that wouldn't be good enough.

So "running it back" with Chauncey being the big change will be a slap in the face of Dame and I don't think it will result in him demanding a trade as soon as he gets back from Japan (I think that happens if Norm doesn't re-sign and we haven't done anything). What I do think will happen if we "run it back" is that Dame will give it until January to see if we're beating contenders or just beating up bad teams. If we're not beating contenders and haven't done what he asked, he'll demand to be traded by the deadline. I don't think we're going to be beating the best teams in the league.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Neil has the new Xbox series X

6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

In a lot of those cases, seems Money Talks. Bullshit walks. Lakers think everyone is gonna just side step money to chase a ring. As expensive as LA is, a minimum salary would barely cover housing for a year. I just don't see true quality players playing for no money.

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Cheap roster filler?

Idog1976 likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

for 10-year vets, a minimum salary is about 2.7M. That's a good chunk of change

9. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I think only a portion of that counts towards the luxury tax though (for higher vet-mins). I could be wrong about that.

10. wizenheimer

correct....any amount over the minimum for a 2 year vet (about 1.65M) is paid by the league and doesn't count against the team's cap

11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Wait, so for a 2.7M vet min, only 1.65 counts against the cap? Even if the team is hard-capped?

12. wizenheimer

B-Roy likes this.
  13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Lot of good vet mins we can sign to upgrade this roster.

RR7 likes this.
  14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Interesting. I thought it was only for luxury tax calculations. There may be a bit more room to work with if we are hard-capped, although I don't trust Neil to navigate those waters, nor do I think it's a good idea anyhow.

15. wizenheimer

and the same was true when Olshey signed Hezonja and Tolliver

16. wizenheimer

I don't think there's any way the Blazers go the hard-cap route this summer

Idog1976 and blazerkor like this.
  17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah.

Hopefully this time he can get some actual help here. Bench players that can produce and play d while the starters rest. That in itself can be a big help to the Blazers

blazerkor likes this.
  18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    fify...

19. Chris Craig

You don't think they are going into the luxury? Of course they are

20. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I generally agree. But technically it's possible. Let's assume Powell starts at 19M (his total contract will get the standard 8% raises). That puts us at around 135M with 5 spots to fill with vet mins. 1.6*5 = 143M which is right at the tax apron. One of those will be 800k less than the vet min because it is Greg Brown.

But this really hurts your flexibility going into the season. Even a trade like DJJ for Tomas Satoransky, who only makes a tiny bit more than DJJ, is not possible. I don't think they would want to operate as a hard-capped team.

Chris Craig likes this.