Politics HERE'S WHY TRUMP WILL SERVE 2 TERMS

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MARIS61, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I'd say my Democrat neighbor next door could probably beat Trump in the next general election. There must be thousands of Democrats who are better qualified than him.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Ha, shows what you know...the Sudnay Times is a newspaper out of Nhu Delly, Indiana.

MARIS61 and Lanny like this.
  3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Despite heat at home, Trump approval ratings tower above embattled European leaders’
    By Maxim Lott | Fox News

Over 400 arrested in Paris during anti-government protests

President Trump routinely takes grief from the pundits for his underwater approval ratings – but compared with some of his embattled European counterparts, facing civil unrest in the streets and internal government tensions, the U.S. president is riding high.

While Trump’s approval ratings have hovered well below 50 percent ever since he took office, French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Theresa May are nowhere close to that right now.

Macron’s political troubles were dramatically exposed over the last two weeks, as rioters burned cars and looted stores in response to his push for gas taxes to fight climate change.

On Tuesday, the widespread violence prompted Macron to delay the fuel tax by at least six months.

Amid the chaos, Macron's approval rating in France is just 23 percent, according to the latest poll from international polling company Ifop, as many on both the left and right see him as out-of-touch. That compares with a 47 percent approval rating for Trump in the most recent Fox News poll.

Macron once had a friendly relationship with Trump, but that relationship soured after the U.S. president spurned Macron's advice on climate change and relations with Iran. Macron then publicly jabbed at Trump – attacking the notion of nationalism after Trump embraced the term, as well as calling for the formation of a European army to protect Europe against China, Russia, and even the United States.

Trump responded by swiping at Macron's approval ratings.

"The problem is that Emmanuel suffers from a very low Approval Rating in France... he was just trying to get to another subject," Trump tweeted last month.

Amid the current Paris unrest, Trump has shown little hesitation about drawing attention to Macron's troubles. On Tuesday, he retweeted conservative activist Charlie Kirk saying, “America is booming, Europe is burning,” before panning the tax increases as a product of the "fatally flawed" Paris climate accord.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom's May fares little better than Macron. The latest Ipsos Mori poll puts her approval rating at 29 percent, as she tries to sell Britons on a deal to split from the European Union that many view as poorly negotiated.

May also has frosty relations with Trump, who recently critiqued the prime minister’s Brexit proposal, saying it "sounds like a great deal for the EU."

But some political experts note that Trump’s ratings are still quite low by American standards.

The website FiveThirtyEight, which tracks approval ratings over time, shows that at the same point in their presidencies, Ronald Reagan had an approval rating less than a percentage point higher than Trump, while Bill Clinton beat Trump’s rating by 1.2 points, and Barack Obama beat Trump’s by 3.7 points. Both President Bushes, however, were very popular at the same point in their presidencies.

Bremmer said an international comparison is also valid.

“It’s important to recognize that a lot of international leaders are faring much worse [than Trump]. And Macron is a great example. Huge expectations, and [he] has dashed them at most every turn,” he said.

Not all major European leaders are struggling like Macron, but few are doing much better than Trump. Spain’s left-wing prime minister has a 44 percent approval rating, while Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel polls slightly better than Trump. The latest poll by major German pollster Infratest Dimap shows her with 50 percent approval.

Merkel’s rating is down from around 70 percent approval before the migrant crisis, in which Merkel made the decision to allow more than a million people from the Middle East and Africa into Germany. Trump has criticized Merkel for that decision.

[​IMG]Video
    Despite Merkel's above-water approval rating, her party has been hurt in recent election results, and she recently announced she would not run for an additional term as chancellor.

In Italy, a different story has unfolded. There, populist Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has a 66 percent approval rating according to Ipsos – the highest of any starting Italian leader in more than a decade. Conte’s government has overseen strict new measures against migrants crossing into the Mediterranean, including banning nonprofit ships that were picking up migrants on rafts near the African country of Libya and then dropping them off safely in Italy.

Conte’s government has been likened to Trump’s. A Daily Beast headline read: “Italy’s New Government Goes Full Trump.”

In the U.S., Trump has faced a stormy political environment saturated with negative media coverage – Trump often cites a Media Research Center finding that more than 90 percent of broadcast TV coverage of him is negative. Trump’s disapproval ratings remain higher than his positives.

“Trump has a strong hold on his base and is keeping it. But America, like most of the advanced industrial economies, is much more divided than it’s been in decades,” Bremmer said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de...atings-tower-above-embattled-european-leaders

4. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Good thing the Europeans don’t vote in American elections.......other than the Russians of course.......

Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

6. Lanny

Ewwwwww

7. SlyPokerDog

Don't hate, you know you'd slip Ivanka the tongue.

Lanny likes this.
  8. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    11.-16. I'm going to read you the names of several individuals and items. Please tell me whether you have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion of each one.

Summary Table Among Registered Voters
    --------------------Favorable----Unfavorable
    Donald Trump 46% - 52
    NAFTA 41% - 34
    Nancy Pelosi 36% - 48
    Mitch McConnell 28% - 44
    Chuck Schumer 28% - 40
    Kevin McCarthy 19% - 23

9. SlyPokerDog

Nice random, no link, poll!

Do donuts next!

Chocolate bar
    Maple bar
    Jelly filled
    Old fashioned

and a related poll on sprinkles or no sprinkles.

Lanny and Fez Hammersticks like this.
  10. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    He'll either cop a plea deal or he'll be in prison.

There will be no second term for this mango monkey.

11. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

The 2 terms - is that jail sentences?

Who are we kidding. He did not have emails on an un-secure server. He is fine, totally fine.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Hidden within all that irrelevance is the one thing I already knew: Donald Trump has the lowest approval rating of any US president since I've been old enough to vote. I was born in 1961.

BNM

13. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

14. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    WTF? No apple fritter? I demand an edit.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  15. SlyPokerDog

You liberals and your fritters.

16. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Actually my wife is the liberal and the apple fritter addict. Speaking of apple fritters, have you ever been to the donut shop next to the 7-11 on 60th and Burnside? Their fritters are huge.

17. SlyPokerDog

Yes, they're not bad.

18. Lanny

I did donuts when I was a young man. Somewhere in the Middle Ages.
    Anyhow, I did them in my car in an empty parking lot in the snow. My two roommates from Hood River, did the same in their cars. I hit a curb and bent a spindle. Haven't done a donut since. This is further proof that I was once stupid.
    However, I was starting to wise up beginning when I divorced my ex wife almost half a century ago. See, you mugs? There's still time for you to grow smarter.
    The bent spindle? Set me back plenty back when I couldn't afford it because I was in college and low on dough. You might say, I spent my dough on donuts, har har har har. Okay, okay, I haven't wised up completely.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  19. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Dow surges 746 points on Fed chair remarks, jobs blowout
    Published January 04, 2019StocksFOXBusiness

Economy adds 312K jobs in December
    FBN's Edward Lawrence breaks down the December jobs report.

Stocks surged with the Dow Jones Industrial Average rising 746 points Friday after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said the central bank is prepared to adjust policy quickly and flexibly. His comments followed a blockbuster jobs report for December which saw annual wages jump the most since 2008.

Ticker Security Last Change %Chg
    I:DJI DOW JONES AVERAGES 23433.16 +746.94 +3.29%
    SP500 S&P 500 2531.94 +84.05 +3.43%
    I:COMP NASDAQ COMPOSITE INDEX 6738.8573 +275.35 +4.26%
    The Dow's gain of 3.2 percent is the best performance on a jobs day since 2002, according to the Dow Jones Market Data Group. The S&P 500 also rose over 3 percent and the Nasdaq Composite even more at 4.3 percent.

Investors took the comments by Powell, who also said the Fed would be patient about raising rates amid conflicting economic signals, as a signal that policymakers may be willing to slow down the planned pace of interest rate hikes this year. The central bank is expected to raise rates twice this year.
    Powell's comments came after the Labor Department reported that U.S. employers created vastly more jobs last month than analysts expected. American employers added 312,000 jobs in December more than the 177,000 estimate. Additionally, wages rose 3.2 percent year-over-year, the best jump in a decade. White House Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow said the data shows there is no recession in the cards for the U.S. “We have strong growth, strong jobs and no inflation. That is a terrific optimal situation for our country or any country to be in and I hope the Central Banks take note of this” he said during an interview on “Varney & Co.” “It doesn’t get any better than this and I would encourage people to reconsider their pessimism.”

Equities were also lifted by China, whose premier said Friday that the country will reduce taxes, fees and banks’ reserve requirement ratio to boost the nation's weakening economy. That weakness has hit demand for U.S. products. In addition, markets benefited from an announcement by China’s Commerce Ministry, which said a U.S. trade delegation led by Deputy Trade Representative Jeffrey Gerrish will visit China on Monday and Tuesday. The two sides are working to resolve disputes on trade and other economic issues.

BA BOEING COMPANY 327.08 +16.18 +5.20%
    MMM 3M COMPANY 191.32 +7.56 +4.11%
    CAT CATERPILLAR INC. 128.15 +6.64 +5.46%
    Trade-related stocks rose sharply on news of next week's U.S.-China trade talks. Shares of tech companies were also big winners, rebounding from steep losses yesterday after Apple cut its forecast on weaker iPhone sales, blaming China’s economy for slowing sales. Apple rebounded from its worst day in six years.

AAPL APPLE INC. 148.26 +6.07 +4.27%
    AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES INC. 19.00 +1.95 +11.44%
    NVDA NVIDIA CORPORATION 136.19 +8.20 +6.41%
    MU MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC. 32.70 +1.70 +5.48%
    In Asian trading on Friday, optimism about trade talks with the United States helped sooth investor nerves.

China’s Shanghai Composite Index closed up 2.0 percent and higher by 0.8 percent for the week.

Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index ended up 2.2 percent and was up 0.5 percent for the week.

Japan’s Nikkei had its first trading session of the new year and finished the day down 2.3 percent.

In European markets, London’s FTSE added 1.24 percent, Germany’s DAX rose 1.7 percent and France’s DAC gained 1.2 percent

20. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    I hope it's two terms in prison.

Lanny likes this.