Knicks considering Stoudamire in off season: Article

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by jbbCourtVision, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">You need someone with post defense no? You don't need another point guard no? The priorities are so clear that I can even see it; and I'm not even a Knicks fan. Why add another point guard when you have Hardaway, Crawford and Jackson who could all play there? Meanwhile, Thomas and Madsen at center, would be better than just Thomas, because hell, having two undersized centers is better than having just one.</div>
    Madsen is no where close in being a shut down defender. Addnig Stoudamire will give us more offense than Madsen gives us defense. You said, Madsen will play center full time for about 20 minutes, no? Thomas plays 36 minutes a game/48 possible minutes at center. Adding Madsen would automatically make Thomas play 8 less minutes a game for someone who isn?t close to as good as him. So basically, we would get a one dimensional defender who won?t do too much for the whole team. Despite Rose?s size, he is much more effective than Madsen at the center.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Madsen is no where close in being a shut down defender. Addnig Stoudamire will give us more offense than Madsen gives us defense. You said, Madsen will play center full time for about 20 minutes, no? Thomas plays 36 minutes a game/48 possible minutes at center. Adding Madsen would automatically make Thomas play 8 less minutes a game for someone who isn?t close to as good as him. So basically, we would get a one dimensional defender who won?t do too much for the whole team. Despite Rose?s size, he is much more effective than Madsen at the center.</div>I'm puzzled, when did I say Madsen was a "lockdown" defender? He uses his body well on defense, hustles and knows how to piss opponents off. But I wouldn't say he's as good a post defender as say, Tim Duncan. When did I say that both Madsen and Thomas would be playing center full time? Having Madsen coming into the game at times would allow Thomas to shift over to power forward and take a break from guarding centers. Malik Rose is a good defender, but he's about 6-6, so how much of an impact do you think he would have against a guy like Shaq or Jermaine O'Neal?

Stoudamire brings offense, yes, but do the Knicks need offense? NYK averages 97 points a game, which would put you in the upper half of the NBA in scoring. You also allow 100 a game, which would put you at the bottom. The priorities still aren't clear enough for you?

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm puzzled, when did I say Madsen was a "lockdown" defender? He uses his body well on defense, hustles and knows how to piss opponents off. But I wouldn't say he's as good a post defender as say, Tim Duncan. When did I say that both Madsen and Thomas would be playing center full time? Having Madsen coming into the game at times would allow Thomas to shift over to power forward and take a break from guarding centers. Malik Rose is a good defender, but he's about 6-6, so how much of an impact do you think he would have against a guy like Shaq or Jermaine O'Neal?</div>
    You didn't say that, I just said that to show you his defense isn't that great that it becomes an absolute necessity. Okay let me see if I understand this, Thomas switches over to power forward, and than where do Rose/Taylor/Sweetney/Williams switch over to? Rose being 6'7 shouldn't be a huge disadvantage. This is the same guy who played with arguably the best player in basketball today, Tim Duncan for 8 years! He?s been to the playoffs in the west playing with the best big men in the NBA. I don?t think he should have that much more if any difficulty than the rest of the Knicks.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Stoudamire brings offense, yes, but do the Knicks need offense? NYK averages 97 points a game, which would put you in the upper half of the NBA in scoring. You also allow 100 a game, which would put you at the bottom. The priorities still aren't clear enough for you?</div>
    Yes, but how much defense will Madsen bring? Think about it like this: Stoudamire can bring in say a point more on offense, Madsen can save half a point on defense. Also Stoudamire has hit some big shots in his career and with the Knicks needing clutch shooting, Stoudamire can fit in perfectly!

4. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You didn't say that, I just said that to show you his defense isn't that great that it becomes an absolute necessity. Okay let me see if I understand this, Thomas switches over to power forward, and than where do Rose/Taylor/Sweetney/Williams switch over to? Rose being 6'7 shouldn't be a huge disadvantage. This is the same guy who played with arguably the best player in basketball today, Tim Duncan for 8 years! He?s been to the playoffs in the west playing with the best big men in the NBA. I don?t think he should have that much more if any difficulty than the rest of the Knicks. </div>Okay, so when Rose is on the floor as center, who is there with him at power forward? Jerome Williams? So the five projected players on the floor would look like this. Marbury-6'2", Crawford-6'5", Ariza-6'8", Williams-6'9" and Rose-6'6". When you play a team like the Heat, you'll get: O'Neal-7'1", Haslem-6'11", Jones-6'7", Wade-6'4", Jones-6'3". See a very evident size disadvantage? Madsen would at least give you three more inches, and some muscle.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, but how much defense will Madsen bring? Think about it like this: Stoudamire can bring in say a point more on offense, Madsen can save half a point on defense. Also Stoudamire has hit some big shots in his career and with the Knicks needing clutch shooting, Stoudamire can fit in perfectly!</div>Where are you getting that from?

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Okay, so when Rose is on the floor as center, who is there with him at power forward? Jerome Williams? So the five projected players on the floor would look like this. Marbury-6'2", Crawford-6'5", Ariza-6'8", Williams-6'9" and Rose-6'6". When you play a team like the Heat, you'll get: O'Neal-7'1", Haslem-6'11", Jones-6'7", Wade-6'4", Jones-6'3". See a very evident size disadvantage? Madsen would at least give you three more inches, and some muscle.</div>
    That size disadvantage did not stop us from competing the last games and we sent the Heat down to the wire despite our lack of size. Many (maybe a majority) of our losses have been due to the fact we could not close out games well. There is no one on the Knicks as clutch as Stoudamire and those type of shots can be very helpful and could have given us more wins.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Where are you getting that from?</div>
    No where, I'm just making an assumption.

6. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That size disadvantage did not stop us from competing the last games and we sent the Heat down to the wire despite our lack of size. Many (maybe a majority) of our losses have been due to the fact we could not close out games well. There is no one on the Knicks as clutch as Stoudamire and those type of shots can be very helpful and could have given us more wins.</div>To say the truth, I haven't seen more than five Knick games this season, and about three of them were blowouts, one was a win and another was a close loss. I don't really have much to say about their lack of clutch shooting, although Stoudamire won't be the only clutch shooter out there on the free agent market. Also, I remember Marbury and Crawford both hitting game-winning threes.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">To say the truth, I haven't seen more than five Knick games this season, and about three of them were blowouts, one was a win and another was a close loss. I don't really have much to say about their lack of clutch shooting, although Stoudamire won't be the only clutch shooter out there on the free agent market. Also, I remember Marbury and Crawford both hitting game-winning threes.</div>
    Well Marbury is very inconsistent in the clutch. He doesn't hit a lot of game winning shots...at least not with the Knicks. In fact, he barely attempts last second shots and rather passes it to Tim Thomas! He's missed many clutch freethrows this season alone! Houston was the clutchest Knick and he was gone so we didn't really have someone to wrap up a game. Crawford is okay there. Although he is inconsistent there just like Marbury, I'd rather have him take the last shot instead of Crawford.