OT Languages You Can Speak / Countries You’ve Been To

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Tyrant of Ants, Nov 23, 2020.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you're new here...always ask for a muzzle as well

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I speak Mandarin, some Taiwanese and understand some German from taking 2 years of it in high school ...been all over asia...was sent to Vietnam in 71 and traveled all over the west Pac on the USS Blue Ridge...took trips to Nepal, Thailand, India, Bali....traveled through China twice...been to Phillipines many, many times.as well as Hong Kong..lived and worked in Taiwan for a couple decades...saw Japan, Okinawa, Korea, Mongolia, Cambodia, Laos, Burma across the river...didn't get to cross.....lived in Hawaii 3 times and speak passable pidgin english. Been to Canada, Mexico and Central America...my wife is Taiwanese but now an American citizen for the last 12 years. We've been together 31 years and change...we speak english and Mandarin in our home

Stevenson and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  3. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

I have only been to Canada. I don't speak Canadian. :laugh:

Besides Oregon. I have been to Washington and California.

I know a few German cuss words my dad learned while stationed in Germany in the 60's. Beyond that, I speak English.

SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  4. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I did the same all expenses paid junket to the Far East as @riverman, including being aboard the very same ship (Riv was apparently going down the gangplank in Okinawa as I was going up it). So I’ve been to the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong etc (and Vietnam from a heathy distance). Also been to Mexico and Canada numerous times. I’m reasonably conversant in English and extremely proficient in profanity (my native language). I also know a few words of Pirate in case I need to talk to @barfo......

riverman and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I have a good friend who's father was one of the highest ranking south Vietnamese generals, his name was Ly Tong Ba. After taking his family including my friend to the embassy to evacuate to the Philippines as refugess, he was captured and a prisoner of war for 15 plus years. He was able to move here and had a huge following and wrote several books.
    I have a Vietnamese daughter in law, she and her father just became a US citizen's. I have a Korean daughter in too and three Amerasian grandkids.

Lanny, riverman and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I have been sitting at a bar in Taiwan many times while people at the bar are talking about me in Mandarin...then I call for the bartender in Mandarin and have a long conversation with him/her and embarrass the hell out of the locals who assume I can't understand them....language is power...and speaking the local language is the best way to experience being an expat

7. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread....I speak English, and enough Spanish to survive, maybe, kind of... I wish I had one of those brains that didn't suffer from paralysis through analysis...

Countries: Canada, Mexica, Guatemala, Scotland, England, Wales, France, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, and Morocco... I also was born in the South, which is essentially a different country.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'll teach you Canadian...."eh".....end all your sentences with that and you'll start to understand eh?

Road Ratt likes this.
  9. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Born and raised in inner SE Portland. I've been to Canada a bunch of times, BC, Alberta, Ottowa, Quebec. Mexico twice for just a couple days.
    England, Scotland, Wales for three weeks total, France for about a month total, Spain
    (Barcalona, Pamplona, San Sebastian) for about a week, Italy (Rome) for a few days, Switzerland (Lausanne) for a few days, Germany (Munich) for 1 day, Hungry (Budapest) for a few days, passed through Austria on the train. Australia (Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Darwin, Sydney) for three months. Been around the states a bit, mostly on the West Coast and visiting friends in the Midwest (mostly Cleveland, and Chicago).
    I speak enough french to always be nominated by whomever I'm with to buy the train tickets and talk to cab drivers. I understand basic Spanish (I usually get placed in intermediate classes). And am taking a Russian class at PCC right now. I'm about to head to RUS 202 for Winter term.

EDIT: And I know a couple of swear words in Vietnamese and Cambodian. I can count to 20 in Cambodian and to 3 in Vietnamese. I used to know how to say Go home! In Cambodian because my friend's little brother used to follow us around when we were playing baseball, and football.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Hoopguru, Tyrant of Ants and riverman like this.
  10. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Fluent in Spanish

spent a decent amount of time in Colombia. A month in Peru, and Mexico a couple times.

edit: took a bus once to Canada too. Ate some edibles otw and was too high at the border. Almost didn’t get in and everyone on the bus had to wait like 30 min for me

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  11. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I haven't been to Maine, Alabama, either of the Dakotas, either of the Carolinas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Kentucky, W.V.
    @ABM , I haven't been to Tennessee, but I have been to the Azores.

I learned Latin in college, but despite what they say about it being a dead language, I've never been able to use it in conversation with a dead person. They just stare at me.

barfo

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They're referring to dead insects, butterflies, cockroaches, and other critters....you probably know their real Latin names are

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Been to 45 states......
    & Canada, Mexico, Azores, Argentina, Brazil, England, Netherlands, Scotland, Greece
    Will be in Japan next summer if they hold the games.

Speak just enough Spanish to survive in a foreign country. Wish I knew more.

14. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You drink coffee, don't you?

15. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I was born in Atlanta.

Propagandist likes this.
  16. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

When are you finally going to apply for US citizenship......????

17. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    I speak passable Spanish. A bissel of Yiddish and Hebrew.

I have travelled extensively, both for work and pleasure. 38 countries.

Most exotic was Mongolia. Scariest was Turkmenistan (police state.) I was in South Africa during Apartheid when I was a student, that was when I travelled around the world by ship on a program called Semester at Sea and visited a dozen countries. That started my wanderlust.

18. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I can say "a boat in the sea" in Greek. That got me pretty far there.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, that's a euphemism in Greek for getting laid?

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My friends in Taiwan were from Paris...our children played together...their son spoke english and French, daughter spoke french and mandarin and my son spoke mandarin and english...the 3 kids used all 3 languages when playing together and had no problem...it was fun to watch...

Stevenson and Tyrant of Ants like this.