Making a Murderer on Netflix

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 31, 2015.

1. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst on HBO? The ending was absolutely chilling.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

That was awesome! Still not sure why he didn't leave the country after fucking up like that.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

HailBlazers likes this.
  4. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Avery is a creeper of epic proportions. Make sure you read every thing that has come out about him since the airing of the documentary. Dude is guilty. Lots of evidence was left out of of the doc (Avery's DNA found on the truck latch of her car, non blood DNA, for example). The film makers certainly had an agenda. Not to say the case wasn't handled awfully. Dasser should not be in jail. I honestly do not believe he had anything to do with it.

5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Ken Kratz admits to abusing Vicodin and Xanax DURING trial

"The court suspended Kratz in June after review of a complaint filed by the Office of Lawyer Regulation. Kratz was found to have sent inappropriate text messages to a domestic abuse victim while prosecuting her case. Kratz says he knows what he did was improper and a violation of trust."

"he has been diagnosed with and sought treatment for narcissistic personality disorder and sexual addiction; he was abusing the sleeping aid Ambien, the painkiller Vicodin, and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax at the time of the misconduct; he subsequently sought treatment for his substance abuse issues."

6. The Professional Fan

Yeah, he's a peach as well.

7. SlyPokerDog

The doubts cast by the series as to Avery and Dassey’s guilt (the two are currently serving time in prison for their alleged crimes) have ignited a firestorm of backlash, most notably from rightwing news anchor Nancy Grace, who has in recent weeks launched an all-out assault on the documentary, accusing its makers of neglecting key evidence that proves Avery and his nephew are guilty.

“This is a documentary – we’re documentary filmmakers,” Ricciardi said in defense of the project Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter tour in Pasadena, California.

“We’re not prosecutors, we’re not defense attorneys, we do not set out to convict or exonerate anyone,” she continued. “We set out to examine the criminal justice system and how it’s functioning today. It would have been impossible for us to include every piece of evidence submitted to the court. So we took our cues from the prosecution, what they thought was the most compelling evidence. That’s what we included.”

“Of course we left out evidence,” she added. “There would have been no other way of doing it. We were not putting on a trial, but a film. Of what was omitted, the question is: was it really significant? The secret is no.”

Ricciardi said in deciding to take on the documentary, she and Demos were interested in “finding out how someone who had been wrongly imprisoned, could find himself back in the system”.

“We absolutely have a point of view,” she added when prodded further. “When we set out to make this series, we chose Stephen Avery to be our main subject. The reason we chose him was his unique status as an American who had been failed by the system in 1985, and had been repeatedly failed for another 18 years.”

Asked to address the series’ detractors, including Grace, Demos said: “It’s interesting that people would expect news reports to contain the truth. I mean if you see the news about this series, I would challenge people to do some research about what’s being presented as truth, and see whether the documentary or the news report has more veracity.”

“We did not take on Stephen Avery’s biography,” Ricciardi added. “What we set out to do here was essentially check up on the American criminal justice system, to see if it was any better at delivering truth and justice in 2005 than it was in 1985.”

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/jan/17/making-a-murderer-netflix-steven-avery

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  8. The Professional Fan

Well they certainly succeeded at that. But still, one of the centerpieces of the documentary was the possibility that cops planted Avery's blood in her car. Not making any mention that additional DNA of Avery's was found in the car, non blood DNA, is a huge omission to me.

9. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

10. SlyPokerDog

11. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

That poor dumb kid needs looked after.

12. SlyPokerDog

He does. If the DA decides not to re-prosecute and he's released the press is going to hound him to death. He would be smart to move far away from that state. Do you have an extra room you could rent to him for a while?

13. bodyman5000 and 1

I turned it into my movie room. I have family with property in the NW, he could stay in the apartment over the barn.

14. SlyPokerDog

He needs a strong father figure like you.

15. bodyman5000 and 1

Needed. I probably could have taught him some things, enough to get by at least.

Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Bump. Season 2 is out. Yeah, these dudes are innocent.

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Shit! I loved that first season!!

18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

It was good. There is a lot of "lawyering" in the second. It's still pretty damn interesting.

19. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

20. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

If anybody likes making a murderer, a new docuseries dropped on Netflix Friday called the innocent man. Binged it already. Very very good

Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.