Politics NBA and China

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by illmatic99, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I actually hate this interview its not excellent at all and it proves even more how much he and others in the NBA are unwilling to actually say China’s human rights and oppression is wrong, they’re scared to. He basically skirts that and talks about America’s problems, which is fine to some extent The US has problems but the fact Morey is the only one at all who was willing to say anything speaks very loudly about how they are following the money. That interview from Kerr was his way of saying I want to speak out about all of The US’s problems because exercising that right is popular here and I want to be a social activist here, but when it comes to China I want to feign ignorance and treat that as a business.

I read that last night and thought wow the hypocrisy is so blatent.

2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I don't hate it at all. This is the embodiment of what is missing in today's sound bite social media one liner world. Speaking on an issue without ever doing a lick of research to know what you are talking about has become the norm. Kerr is absolutely right in my opinion and he is also correct that he has the right to reserve judgement until he is better educated on the issue. It is also my opinion that he not only has that right but in his position he has the responsibility to be better educated before he gives an opinion.

3. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I dont believe for a second he has no idea, or no way to be educated on the subject but I can almost 100% guarantee you he wont ever say a thing negative about China. IT HAS NOTHING to do with needing to do research, literally most 15 year olds in the US have done global studies and know at least enough to form some opinions. We all know about the way they have oppressed their people, and lack of human rights. Im not buying it at all.

4. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    The thing is its not like China is new, or their regime is new. Its not like Kerr who’s always talking politics has any good excuse to not know anything about China. If he really has no idea then thats just willful ignorance. I dont believe him though, I really dont. All he did was basically start by talking about subjects most us of in America like to hear, “Gun Control and the President”, then said whelp I have no clue on global politics whatever Ive never seen the news, so I cant comment! Like seriously, if they dont want to talk about China fine, I get it I know thats a business market for them, but it just comes off to me as Silver and Kerr are trying to figure out how to play both markets which is business, it sure isnt social activist.

5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

And wasn't his father a diplomat or something? How can he not know about China's brutality?

Kerr is just a moron; a typical bubble-living elitist Liberal who has lived in a wealthy and popular celebrity class literally his entire life. He is the perfect embodiment of the privileged, entitled Bay Area mentality; people who think that the Bay Area is the center of the universe, and only they matter. Paul Joseph Watson did a great video some months back about Kerr and his hypocrisy and ignorance about gun control, as well as his insecurities about Trump, but I can't find it...which means it has likely been removed. No doubt Kerr sent a lawyer to have a word about it with YouTube.

MARIS61 and Dutchman063 like this.
  6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The definition of quoting out of context is as follows:

"Quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as contextomy or quote mining) is an informal fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning."

While surrounding matter was removed in this case it did not distort its intended meaning. He was asked about human rights in China and deflected to the issue of mass murders in the USA. That was intentional.

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

In fact, looking at it in context simply confirmed that his intention was to divert attention from his refusal to address the topic. "Pay no attention to where I forsake principle for profit--look over here at the gun issue where my position has more widespread support!"

8. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Or you're a person with character and principles and actually cares about right and wrong.

But, yeah, this is the American way. Do right, unless it can affect profits -- which pretty much is all the time. So screw doing right.

SMH.

Dutchman063 likes this.
  9. kjironman1

Who ever said this? Certainly not I or Steve Kerr. He did however say this-
    He also said this-
    Then there is this-
    Of course he a way to be educated. But he has not done it so he isn't speaking on it. He has chosen to be educated on other issues. He speaks on those issues. Pretty sure there are very few 15 year olds that take basic classes in high school that are well versed enough to take a stand on an issue like China and or North Korea.
    Trying to make this into something it isn't won't work here. He was very clear about his response.

10. kjironman1

There literally was three periods ... and surrounding matter was removed and it distorted the intended meaning but okay. Believe what you like here.

11. kjironman1

This is exactly why i stay away from OT.
    This thread needs to be moved. Way too many people expressing feelings and trying to portray them into fact.

12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I don't believe him at all when he says he’s not educated on it. I believe he’s doing the classic politician thing. That's not what I want to talk about but let's talk about Trump and Guns cause that's what I want to talk about and won't have any negative ramifications for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Never said it was fact, said I dont believe him.

14. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

It's an important topic and is basketball related. No offense, but if you don't like the discussion than simply ignore it.

42N8Bounce and kjironman1 like this.
  15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

"Malcolm Hooper Kerr was a university professor specializing in the Middle East and the Arab world. An American citizen, he was born, raised, and died in Beirut, Lebanon. He served as president of the American University of Beirut until he was killed by gunmen in 1984."

Jade Falcon and HailBlazers like this.
  16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

What? You're shaming people for saying they will respond only after learning more about a situation for speaking on it?

You'd rather they be like the dumbass in the whitehouse and spout off nonsense only to be corrected 2 minutes later?

17. illmatic99

This is absolutely ON topic. It is one of the biggest NBA stories in the past decade and a billion + dollars is at stake.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  18. kjironman1

Agreed. I have to allow people to discuss it and yes I can ignore it.

42N8Bounce and HailBlazers like this.
  19. kjironman1

Fair enough.

20. illmatic99

What a ridiculous notion.

His father was killed by two gunmen and his team has personally been involved in multiple public barbs with Trump. He absolutely has grounds to speak upon it. And everything he has said about both issues have been absolute FACTS. And any of his opinions are justified with FACTS. Just do a tiny bit of research and you'll see that.

His brother in law is actually a professor on Chinese studies and wanted to get all sides of the story before speaking up.

Gimme a fucking break. The level of partisan discord in this country has me so worried. This is Trumpism 101 when you start shaming people for stuff like this.