Poll: If Dame Doesn't Ask Out

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by wizenheimer, Mar 25, 2023.

?

What Should Portland Do If Dame Wants to Stay?

1. Don't trade Dame if he doesn't ask to be traded

83.1%
  2. Trade Him Whether He Wants it or Not

16.9%
  1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, it's kind of difficult to get a read. I'm pretty sure though, that he'll really be reluctant to shift to a trade demand

2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    I certainly can. What insider knowledge does he have? What is his source?

speculate?? How about report news instead of stir up gossipy drama? I can 100% blame him. This isnt reporting. This is fox/cnn news bullshit. We went through it last year. Shams wants to lead the bullshit charge this year. fuck that guy…

3. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Yep and he never walked it back like a solid, quality reporter would do when found out he reported incorrectly. Fuck him.

tykendo likes this.
  4. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

We should be happy he's all in. Many would have bolted. No surrender in his bones. I doubt we ever see this loyalty again. Sure the dollars are great, but all top athletes get the dollars. But most don't hang around through the tough times. He has fortitude. I admire him so much for that.

BigGameDamian, RickyJoe and blazerkor like this.
  5. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Perfect name, cause he is a sham.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  6. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

In the second paragraph it says Dame underwent Abdomen surgery in February "Charania said on his podcast that Lillard, who underwent surgery for an abdominal injury in February". It is like they are combining some from last year and some from this year. I can only imagine how tired Dame is of dealing with this every year.

7. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Now that Dame is shut down for remainder of year. Did we see Dame play his last game in Blazer uniform? As much as we all say he’s not going anywhere I think there’s still a decent chance he may have played his last game as a Blazer. Some things that might cause him to want to be traded.

1. Blazers don’t move up in draft
    2. Cronin isn’t able to pull off a trade for difference maker
    3. Team returns basically same group we had this year (5th worst team in league)
    4. We lose Grant in free agency
    5. Team decides to rebuild

any combination of these 5 things could lead to Dame deciding it’s time. Yes I know he’s said he’s not leaving but everyone has their breaking point. Not trying to stir drama just a realist, sad to think this is even a possibility.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  8. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

I take Dame at his word that he wants to stay but I have said before this summer is going to be stressful IF the Draft and offseason does not go well for the blazers. I am not worried Dame will pull a 180 and ask for a trade between now and early July BUT I am worried around late July / early August IF things do not go well in the offseason. This is the most likely time this would all go down unless the team tells him they are going to rebuild then all bets are off but as long as the team talks like they are going to continue to try for a ring chances are things will be fine barring a total offseason disaster so I expect one more year from Dame.

9. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I don't think Dame will do anything until July free agency is finished. If the Blazers get Wemba or a rookie Dame is real high on it might be enough for him to stay. If Grant leaves Dame might want out regardless. Maybe Dame is in regardless, but I feel like if he knows it's another lottery year he might want to move on.

Does seem like there is a real chance we've seen the last of Dame as a Blazer. The team doesn't have a feasible way to contend soon, and seems much more likely we fall short in free agency as has nearly always been the case for 20 years.

Wouldn't be shocked if Dame stays or they trade him. However I would be surprised if we hear any discussions or rumors on it. I think it stays confidential untill it actually is finalized.

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

So OTHER than last year, he never missed more than 10% of the games when he was younger? I don't understand how that adds up to "always". haha

If you didn't see him getting injured this year, then you weren't paying attention. And you probably thought this team was going to be good. And that Cronin was going to build a good roster.

AngryFan likes this.
  11. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You break it down if you're curious. I was right about injuries happening and I was right about this team while it's possible that I just HAPPENED to be correct, I'll take that chance.

It's not my job to convince you of anything... you will either pay attention to what's actually happening or not.

12. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    If you arent gonna post the injury stats then you aren't right about squat. You are hiding behind your opinion without supporting it with facts. Until you bring the facts your opinion means jack. Support your opinions with facts backed by STATS or don't be taken seriously. Your choice…

You made a comment, I asked you to back it up with the stats. You wont. Pretty. Sure you wont because the stats will not support your claim and will show a lopsided injury history.
    Lol. Classic.

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

With a good section of the fanbase it's the same thing every off season... build up ridiculous hopes around the new additions & overlook glaring holes in the lineup to come to the desired conclusion of Blazer dominance. When the season happens and reality sets in, it's the coach's fault & those here who were pointing to the obvious roster issues in the offseason are just big jerkfaces to be lashed out at. Is it any surprise this same contingent is expecting their guy to be the first ever to defeat Father Time?

I don't view a GM's role as playing to the masses popularity wishes. Their job is (primarily) to make the roster better and put together a contender. Fail to do that and they will lose their job and struggle to ever get another shot at the helm. As such, I'm always open to trading any player if the return is solidly to the team's benefit. I didn't vote here as I don't view their position the way the poll frames it. The only reason to trade a guy without knowing whats coming back is if they're a bad apple you want away from the rest of the team.

STOMP

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Ed O, AngryFan and SharpesTriumph like this.
  14. SharpesTriumph

Your the one who brought up the idea of a stat of games missed, and claimed it would support your opinion, then you didn't provide that stat.

It a very odd way to structure an argument. Perhaps it further convinces yourself of your position. It did nothing to convince me or I'd suspect any rational reader.

Ed O and THE HCP like this.
  15. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Dame played out his contract here and retired. He's got the league pegged and I believe he's a man that's anticipating his life after round ball. He has it made here in Portland and I don't see him wanting to uproot his family put them through all the hassle. They both have other interest outside of basketball. Dont see him wanting to chase a ring. He's wearing his ring now...

16. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Lol...

You know what? I did the work @Ed O was too lazy to do. I'm a believer when you come with an opinion, and you want that opinion to sell, it should be backed up with facts. Not for someone else to have to prove the opinion wrong. Its one thing to say "you know, I think this, but I don't have anything to base it off of, Its just my opinion." That's respectable. But to say pay attention to what's happening and not provide stats to back it up? seriously?

Laughable.

Anyhow. Taking the top 6 guys from the beginning of the season from a few teams, these are the games played...

Blazers - 315 total games
    Dame - 58
    Simons - 62
    Grant - 63
    Nurk - 52
    Hart - 51
    Winslow - 29

Celtics - 391 total games
    Tatom - 70
    Brown - 64
    Brogdon - 63
    White - 76
    Smart - 58
    Horford - 60

Nuggets -395 total games
    Jokic - 67
    Murray - 61
    Porter - 58
    gordon - 63
    Pope - 72
    Brown - 74

Bucks - 362 total games
    Giannis - 60
    Holiday - 63
    Lopez - 74
    Middleton - 30
    Portis - 65
    Allen - 70

so of these other top tear teams that everyone wants us to be competitive with, we missed almost 30 games combined compared to the Bucks, and almost 80 more games than the Celtics and The Nuggets.
    Now does anyone want to say injuries and games missed weren't lopsided?

Facts speak louder than opinions, no matter how loud the guy who only spouts opinions yells.

Stats matter. but yeah...I'm the one NOT paying attention... lol.

17. SharpesTriumph

Nice cherrypicking of stats to support your position. You include Winslow who is 11th on the Blazers this year in scoring, and Hart who was traded away.

Yet Sharpe who's played the second most games of anybody on these 4 teams after the Celtics White is excluded.

Are you going to add back Hart's games he played for the Knicks?

The Blazers played a consistent day 1 starting lineup of Dame, Simons, Hart, Grant and Nurk which was very mediocre. If it was healthy the whole season maybe they make the playin, but it wasn't a winning team. I don't see what type of argument you are trying to make.

Ed O and AngryFan like this.
  18. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Cherry picking? Are you claiming Winslow wasn't to a major part of the rotation until he got hurt? Are you claiming sharpe was playing more than Winslow at the beginning of the season?

come on man….

i included middleton and his low number games played too.
    Its pretty apperant who has been paying Attention and who hasnt.
    But just to be sure, lets take a look shall we?

Game one vs sac:
    Winslow - 26:18 minutes played
    Sharpe - 16:18

game two vs pho
    Winslow - 23:54
    Sharpe - 11:57

game three vs
    Winslow - 25:06
    Sharpe - 16:16

i could go on but it would be a waste of my time. Stats are showing i didnt cherry pick anything.
    Winslow was a major rotation player to start the season. Sharpe was not.
    Facts matter…
    The only thing i will say that may factor in is i should up Harts games to include the ones he played in ny. So add another 15 games?

were still waaayyy behind the leagues best.
    No cherry picking going on. Just facts that do not support the narrative being opinionated here.

19. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I would like to add that starting linup, admittedly flawed, went 10-4 to start the season…
    From day one they were rockin. Not mediocre as you claim. Record proves otherwise.

Game one win against sacramento(the current third seed) on the road.

Game two win against pho

Game three win against the lakers on the road

Game four win against Denver

Game five loss to Miami

Game six win against Houston

Game seven loss to memphis

Game eight win at pho

Game nine loss at pho

game 10 win at Miami

game 11 win at charlotte

game 12 win at NO

game 13 loss at Dallas

game 14 win against SA

Thats better than mediocre to me.

20. SharpesTriumph

Then games 15-20 they lost.

They were almost as good as last seasons 4-0 group after the Clippers/Pelicans trades.

Both are small sample sizes. If you think these stretches are evidence of positive long term potential of such groups good for you. I look at their performance over the season and for the individuals careers and am conversely not impressed.

Blazers had what a 13 game win streak with James Jones, Outlaw and Webster. It was fun, but similarly, I never thought any of these groups were the beginning of constructing a contender.

Ed O and AngryFan like this.