Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by AquaXI, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

So in all that time Brian Grant and Kenny Anderson were the only starters Trader Bob was able to sign.

I don't think a player of their caliber would do much for us right now. Certainly not worth clearing a bunch of cap space for at the expense of wins.

That caliber of player could have been picked up with the TPE if it were worth doing... But paying triple the salary isn't worth it unless you're bringing in a star.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You forgot about the Chris Dudley saga.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Today's NBA is very different than the Bob Whitsett NBA. I firmly believe if we had made the WCF Lebron, PG13, and Boogie would have at least taken our phone calls and we most likely could have ended up with at least one of them.

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Just about everyone.

Brown and Strauss
    PDM
    Alliance
    Farwest
    Coast alum
    Emj
    Samuel and son
    Puget sound pipe
    I could go on and on depending on project and material type. Lol

5. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

If only we could get four other white players like Leonard. What a team that would be!

6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Oh good point. But again, was Dudley any better than Ed Davis? Plus the salary cap wasn't as much of an issue, so we were actually somewhat more of a destination team thanks to Paul Allens $$$.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The weather argument really bugs me. If it was such an important factor then there'd only be 2-3 teams in the EC that could draw Free Agents - outside of MIA, ORL, and maybe ATL/CHA, the winters experienced by the other EC teams are WAY worse than Portland. Then you got all the shit hole cities outside of NYK/BKN, CHI, BOS, and PHI. So essentially the entire EC is either (1) shit weather, (2) shit city, or (3) both...unless you're MIA/ATL, which are often shit teams.

BBert likes this.
  8. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I thought Dudley was much worse than Davis. He was kind of a jerk about that whole Jantzen island in Lake Oswego thing.

9. LeeRC

LeeRC Member

I don't think it's weather so much as it's the perception of the town. For example, does anyone here think once of Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Memphis, OKC, Charlotte in their entire daily routine?

I certainly don't. Even now, the thought of vacationing there seems more like a hassle than my idea of fun.

That's how Portland is perceived elsewhere.

Only way this team can attract players is by drafting/finding stars and making the Finals.

10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    When I worked in St. Louis I remember guys talking about how beautiful the Pacific North West was. One guy planned a vacation around coming here.

The mid West is kind of ugly as far as I could tell.

11. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Mid-Westerners, the "True Flat Earthers".

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  12. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I lived in Alberta Canada for a while and flat is like the only way I would describe it lol.

13. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Understand that one. Live in the Denver. Look west, mountains, look east, as flat as a pancake for as far as the eye can see.

14. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Ive made that drive for Calgary to Regina...flat as a pancake

Used to cover Western Canada and Ive never seen such a rivalry between two cities, Calgary & Edmonton ! If you are north of red deere top better be an oilers fan or you could be in for deep shit!

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Curious if we'd have the same problem with FA's if we had an MLB or NFL team?

Is it the league?

If young, rich, black millionaires would take a pay cut to go to play in "The Frozen Tundra", why not here?

tykendo and BonesJones like this.
  16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Imo, if we were to break through to the WC finals with the young players we have, I think we could attract FA's.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    As a a person who used to be a packer fan, I don’t remember a lot of people taking pay cuts to play there so much as I remember guys wanting to play with Favre, it doesn’t seem like guys want to play with Rodgers nearly as much and that’s why outside of Rodgers they don’t have much going on...

18. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Why aren't you anymore?

19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I’m not really sure, I’ve kind of become a titans fan because of Mariota. I think with no local NFL teams it’s hard for me to be a big fan of anyone, it’s not like I can easily go to a game, or two here or there. I think my football “allegiance” at this point is mostly for the Ducks (I know the beaver fans here won’t like that lol).

20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

So much of this is simply talking points with very little basis in reality-
    Money- You play where they will pay you. Oregon is on the middle ground on Taxes. Florida and Texas only have so many teams. Right now only one of them is a winning team.
    Weather- Maybe they should build a covered arena in Portland? Oh wait...... Players go home in the off season until it's time to play ball. Portland summers are plenty warm or have you not been outside in the last two months? Matter of fact it's a whole bunch better than most anywhere in the south.
    Hip- Really?
    Media- The world is connected and please tell me who isn't on twitter or instagram? Media market simply doesn't count unless you are talking the All-Star game. Which they all seem to go to anyway.
    Basketball reasons- Tell me one player anywhere that wanted anything to do with Golden State 6 years ago?
    Black Population- Greg Oden is the only one i have ever heard say anything about having a problem being a young rich Black man in Portland. This is a taking point brought up way too much. I work quite often for a former Blazer player that scoffs at that. To each his own. It has nothing to do with being Black in Portland.

So when you honestly think about it logically it ain't Portland. It's the player they are talking to. Build a team and have a history of treating players right with a good atmosphere. Then they will come. It would help to get a team back in Seattle and draw new divisional lines. Personally i think that is quite possibly the biggest reason players think twice about coming here. The East coast and other areas don't have to travel as far during the season.

Phatguysrule likes this.