Exclusive Pre-season observations/snap-judgements thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Well Im with ya. Leonard is just my boy so i'm scraping for answers/excuses lol. But after what Ive seen so fare, im about ready to burn the Leonard J and pick up a Vonleh one. His handles have really improved.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  2. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

It's a problem because it limits his opportunities. I think you'd agree we didn't sign Meyers for his defense or ability to score inside. His jump shot is the only thing he has going for him, and he can only get a couple of shots off per game.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  3. Sinobas

I thought Vonleh was a huge dud last year. He was just sort of "there" on the court.

4. Sinobas

Well, I'd say that's worth 17 million?

BBert likes this.
  5. Sinobas

I wonder if Paul is going to blame Olshey if the Blazers get into cap hell and don't deliver.

Look at Bob Whitsett, he had a long career of building good teams going back to the Sonics, but what really did him in was the Shawn Kemp trade. Next year we're going to have to go over the cap to retain Plumlee. (and Vonleh could grow into a nice contract). Because of some really dumb contracts. Turner, Crabbe, Meyers....

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Here're our pre-season stats.

Observations:
    1. Thank Christ for Lillard.
    2. Crabbe needs more shots. Is he shooting less because he plays with Napier, who's a total gunner?
    (Suggestion: Cleveland wants a backup PG - can we remind LeBron that he wanted Napier and somehow end up with Jones from Minny, that I saw somewhere they want to get rid of, despite the fact that he was the MVP for their Summer League team?)
    3. Aminu's 3-point shot may have fallen back to earth after last season's anomaly.
    4. Why does McCollum draw so few shooting fouls? Is it all those mid-range pull-ups? That never stopped Reggie Miller. Something seriously has to change there - because he's not stopping his man defensively, so the least he could do is help foul him out.
    5. Why doesn't Ed Davis get more minutes? Is it because we can't play him and Plumlee together? Will he get even fewer when Festus is ready?
    6. Why the fuck are we sticking with Connaughton? Do we seriously think he's going to get better? I would try to package Connaughton and Napier for a PG who can play defense. But I guess those are kind of rare outside of Boston.

Wizard Mentor and jlprk like this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Seriously? Meyers only gets a couple of shots off per game? He took 8 against the warriors in 16 minutes and 10 against the Lakers in 20 minutes. Rarely is that an issue for him

8. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Blazers 74-8 and win championship

9. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Yikes!

This season he has to put up 15ish ppg to make that contract look less toxic.

10. Sinobas

Well yes he gets more than a "couple" but he's never even averaged 14 points per 36 minutes per game. I just don't think he's going to have much impact on games. When you take his good shooting with his lack of interior presence and lapses on defense, I don't think he really has a net positive effect off the bench.

11. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Pat C to basketball is like Tebow to baseball..... le sigh.

12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    1. check
    2. Crabbe's gotta be more aggressive.
    3. Too early to tell. He hits a lot in his "competitions."
    4. dunno
    5. preseason. Ed's not a "skill" guy, he does what he does, he doesn't need a lot of reps.
    6. guaranteed contract.

13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

That is an entirely different discussion. All I am saying is his slow release from the outside is not a big problem. He shoots a decent percentage. It rarely gets blocked because he usually only shoots it when he is wide open. His release point might not be optimal, but it's not really a problem.

Remember before we drafted Dame....and people were saying his release point was too low? Not comparing Dame and Meyers, just that we often over analyze things that are not really an issue.