Starters opening night?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 1 Eye Jack, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

I'd like to see Bayless and Outlaw on the 2nd unit with Sergio distributing them the ball

2. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Because of these reasons:

Travis had his breakout season playing mostly the 4. That spot is NOT available in the starting unit.

On paper, Travis looks to be a poor fit with the starters. His only real proven NBA skill - getting his own shot - has limited use in the starting unit. His passing, dribbling, defense, rebounding and IQ are all below average, making him look to be a poor fit as a 4th option glue player.

Because, Travis has sucked in the pre-season as a starter, confirming - so far - the above.

Can he change? Can he become something he has never displayed in the NBA? Sure. I wouldn't consider it likely though.

Team might play him there anyway, as the options of Roy at the 3 and Batum are not great either.

3. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
    batum is this years udoka....except with upside.

anyway...book it

blake
    roy
    outlaw
    aldridge
    oden

for about 3 games till nate realizes outlaw couldnt start in the d-league. then.....id say

blake
    roy
    rudy
    aldridge
    oden (who might be hurt by then) so im gonna say pryz

4. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

Come on I know it is not in your make up to be optimistic but let's at least try until the first game. j/k:devilwink:

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

TO's passing, dribbling, defense, rebounding and IQ sure don't trail Martell and several aspects of his game are notably better. He had several very good games as a starter last year, some of them at SF, so how you come to the definitive statement that he can't excell as a starter seems baseless. Travis sucked in last years preseason as well... probably related to his asthma that is especially accute in the fall before the rains start. Heres guessing when he can breath well again, which will be shortly, we'll see the same guy who was better then Martell last year.

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  6. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

You like Travis a lot better as a Small Forward talent than I do. That has been the case for some time. I see that you haven't changed your mind.

Travis playing with the starters while Webster is out should let us both know what's what.

7. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

It's not who starts but who finishes . . .

:cheers:

8. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    That's the best description of Batum I've seen so far. Nice. I'm a little surprised you don't think he's the starter for that very reason.

Udoka isn't a world-beater athlete. He was just this guy who knew his role, and his role was to not make mistakes and work hard on defense.

That's really what we need most our of our starting SF this year too.

Quick seems to think that Batum is at least a contender for the starting job. I'm starting to see why. Whether you realize it or not, you've made a pretty good argument in favor of it.

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

yup, though a better description of my position is that I'd like an upgrade at SF. I think TO is almost OK but I think even less of Martell's game and potential. It would be fine by me if either improved enough to become a decent starter but I think Martell's issues with the yips/confidence are especially hard to overcome.

This offseason I was one of the few posters who put needs at SF above PG and openly pined for Randolph or Batum in the draft. Everyone seems to have jumped on board Nico's bandwagon of late after being down on him for not showing well in summer league. Now as then, I feel he'll turn out to be the best of the three SFs on the roster.

STOMP

10. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree w/ Brandon Roy himself on this one. If Batum plays well with the black unit against the other teams starters in these final preseason games, I dont see how Batum shouldnt start. He gives them a strong wing defender, which will help Greg stay out of foul trouble early in games. Travis' style has, and will always clash with the first unit.

11. Fawzi83

Fawzi83 Member

Starters
    Sergio
    Roy
    Rudy
    Oden
    Aldridge

White Unit

Blake
    Bayless
    Batum
    Outlaw
    Pryzbilla

3rd Unit
    Lafrentz
    Diogu
    Frye
    Webster

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

true. He also has both a lankier bodytype and more size (height/length) then Ime, thats part of the upside. Ime is a bit undersized at the 3 while Batum appears to have near prototypical SF size and build. I think the point is they do play the same sort of game. Batum's ceiling is higher (dude's a rook not 30+) but I think it's a good comparison in style of play

STOMP

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Bump

STOMP