The Ringer: Are We Sure Gronk Isn’t Right?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I want Mo involved and going to the hoop early! Last year after the break, he came out more aggressive and it was a huge, for the team getting on a role.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I think Nurk in the high post will create lots of easy baskets for Moe - like it did during Nurk Fever:

Of those 42 assists, 15 of them are to Moe and the majority of them are passes from the high post to Moe cutting backdoor.

I like that kind of player and ball movement much more than pounding the ball into Nurk on the low blocks and letting him go iso against his man. Putting him in the high post draws the other team's center out from under the basket and creates easy opportunities for Moe, Dame and C.J. cutting to the basket.

I'd also like to see Collins get some easy dunks like Vonleh did in that video. I think it would help his confidence to get some easy scoring opportunities.

BNM

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The Big Red Head was super playing the high post! All those back doors made players look good! The Offense went through Big Bill a lot. Remember him rolling his hands over his head on the way down to the offensive end. IMO, the most talented center to ever play the game, he just didn't play it enough. Bob Cousy said he was the best all around center he'd ever seen play, and you know he played with!

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The thread title's propaganda annoys me. It pretends that only one poster, not the majority, are sick and tired of Olshey. Excerpts from the article:

Olshey was the worst GM in 2016 mistakes, not just average.

Stotts sucks, too. He doesn't know that a modern game (many 3-pointers) is possible without isolation ball.

Blind let-it-bake fanboys, a minority of the fans, are partly to blame, too.

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Sigh.

BonesJones and Boob-No-More like this.
  6. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Cy used to be a popular name. It should be yours. It describes your defeatist status quoer persona.

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    “Just little prick” would seem to work well for your posts.

BonesJones likes this.
  8. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    This sleepy team needs little pricks, so I am destined to lead...although you are competing for prick royalty by being the more visible prick with your thread title. Maybe I should try harder.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I don’t think I’ve seen a single poster opposed to trading CJ (for the right deal, though opinions vary on what the deal is). Some people are ok with keeping NO and Stotts and some aren’t. I am disappointed that the Dame / CJ / Stotts trifecta is all returning (though there is no way I’d trade Dame unless it was for another franchise Player like AD, or Giannis or someone young and of that caliber).

My theory is Neil has pictures... wait nope. My theory is that PA and Neil hashed it out after LMA left and agreed Neil would get 5 years to try to get them as a legit “contender” and PA has decided to let things play out remember it wasn’t long ago the critique of Allen as an owner was all the front office turnover.

I thought the playoffs would spring some massive changes either the roster or coaching... Then it became clear that Stotts was sticking around, and as the summer comes around it looks like Neil’s idea to get vets isn’t going anywhere, CJ doesn’t appear to be going anywhere.

It sucks but it kinda of seems like best case scenario the Blazers make it to the 2nd round and are hopefully competitive. I’m both excited for the season, can’t wait to have games to watch again, but reserved because honestly they didn’t really do anything that makes them ready for contender status.

It’s kind of frustrating to go into the season thinking well I’ve seen this movie before...
    Like I said originally, I agreed with a lot of Gronk’s points, just I suppose not the presentation.

10. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Well, it's not the majority either...

11. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Maybe not the majority of fat guys, but fat and thin pricks are unified in solidarity on this. We shall overcome.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Ahhh it's at least 50/50.

13. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I could go along with that. But complaining about somebody saying it's extreme one way only go suggest the other extreme seemed worth bringing up.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is why we let Greg Oden go

Hoopguru likes this.
  15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/...land-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-cj-mccollum

This article is longer than some may want to read through but was a good read. She goes through the Summer of 2016 and the style of play the Blazers employ. Quite good.

"New Orleans eliminated Portland with one of the most basic defensive concepts: ruthlessly doubling their most important player. ...
    The gaping holes in the frontcourt and on the wing are Olshey’s scarlet letter to wear, but the shortcomings in Stotts’s game plan were unignorable."

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  16. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I believe there is a thread for this called, are we sure gronk wasn’t right or something like that.

17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It had "Gronk" in the title so didn't realize it was the O'Shaughnessy piece.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  19. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I'm still absolutely mystified why, after seeing Nurk pass to open players for easy baskets, Terry did absolutely nothing to integrate that into our game plan the following season. It just doesn't make any sense.

20. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

It was already integrated into the offense with Plumlee. Just keep on playing the same way...

It took a willful decision to remove it from the offense. THAT is the issue for me. I just don't get it. I even brought it up several times throughout the season last year, questioning why we are not using Nurk on the elbow.

TBpup likes this.