Time for Chauncey to go

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Nov 19, 2023.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Stotts was a better regular season coach than postseason coach. His offense translated poorly to the playoffs, and he wasn't good enough at adjustments which is what postseason basketball is about. The biggest thing is he needed Vanterpool. Things fell apart when he left.

Eastoff, Whyachi, blazerfan11 and 4 others like this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

sorry....I guess I wasn't clear

I was responding to a post that said Portland is a young team, 2 or 3 years behind OKC, with the implication being Portland was young and needed time to catch up. But OKC now, is younger than Portland now. To me, that makes it kind of obvious that youth isn't the reason for the gap. It's talent

now maybe you can argue that Portland's talent hasn't had time to develop, and it needs that 2 or 3 years to do so. But OKC not only has SGA, they also have Holmgren, Giddy, Dort, Jalen Williams, and Isaiah Joe. Blazers don't have that kind of upside depth, at least not yet

if the argument is that Portland will be adding talents like Holmgren and Giddey in future drafts, and Sharpe will be top-10 in 2-3 years, that seems mostly fantasy

3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about winning. I've said repeatedly that winning and losing isn't a consideration.

And I'm in here stating my opinion. Not demanding Cronin do anything.

4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

A lot inaccurate information in your post. You appear to be projecting a narrative to deflect from your previous misjudgements. The fake quotes are also great.

I'm sure the anti-coach narrative is good for clicks because it will always resonate with a chunk of the fan base., so I get it. What I could do without even looking at a box score is predict you will think your basketball IQ is higher than the coaches in the NBA. I admire the confidence.

kjironman1 likes this.
  5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

/Thread. Thats it. This the correct answer.

6. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Look at all these injuries that OKC has had to deal with. 2 starters missed one game each!

upload_2023-11-20_18-50-18.png

Tince likes this.
  7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Oh boy will that go over well.

wizenheimer and Tince like this.
  8. BonesJones

Deflecting from my own misjudgements? It's funny how youre judging my judgements on something you deflect conversation away from.

Anti-coach narrative? I'm just talking basketball. I defended Chauncey all of last season. I defended him on something specific on stream a couple games ago. It's not all black and white.

You just get hung up on any criticism of coaching and make it out as if no critique could ever be valid without being willing to dive into what's being criticized in the first place.

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Sorry for the overnight gap in responding. Maybe I should just let it go, but I don’t think I’ve really made my point clearly. Sure, you’re frustrated with Chauncey and you’re expressing your opinion that a new coach would be able to design an offense that could develop Ayton and the other young guys better than what we’re seeing now. I think that’s certainly possible. Regardless of that, I am expressing my opinion that now is not the right time for that to happen. As I mentioned above, the optics would be horrible, dumping a popular guy with media friends when he’s in a no-win position is going to result in Portland being seen as being bush league. Or, maybe I should say, more bush league than it’s already perceived to be. Secondly, now is not the time to get the coach that we’d want to lead the team when it’s time to start winning again. No established coach is going to sign up to have to take on a 60 loss season on his record unless he sees way more light at the end of the tunnel than the Blazers can currently muster up. Sharpe and Scoot are talented guys with plenty of upside, but they have a long way to go before they are certain to be franchise players. The Blazers need another successful draft and offseason in order to begin to look like an enticing destination for an established coach. I don’t see Cronin being willing to take the heat of dumping Chauncey just to have to go through a hiring process that’s just going to bring in another interim coach. My opinion is that Chauncey is secure for another year or two. Hiring another offensive oriented assistant coach is a different story. That could happen anytime.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Eastoff, kjironman1, Whyachi and 3 others like this.
  10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Yeah my biggest complaint with Chauncey is Scott Brooks.

Phatguysrule and e_blazer like this.
  11. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    I think the relatability thing has a place here. Young coaches are all over the league. There is a division between the last two generations and the one's that were before. It's technology and social speak related. I think our coach "gets" these young guys, and they play hard for him. They trust him. That might be the most important thing at this time. The league itself will teach the youth what's needed of them, they just need to remain a team while they are figuring that out. I love that massive amount of combinations on the floor that he has employed. That info will have it's place in the coming games and seasons.

12. Phatguysrule

No worries. We've all got to sleep.

I totally get that take. Simply saying my mind is made up. It could be changed, but I'm ready to move on.

Doesn't have to be an established head coach, either. Give somebody a shot.

I sincerely hope they are thinking this way and bringing in offensive as well as defensive guys and just plain developmental guys.

Hopefully they have one tabbed to replace Billups.

And again, I don't care what the media thinks about it, but nobody is going to blame Joe for firing the guy his predecessor hired in a panic to save his own ass.

And Chauncey doesn't need to be fired right now, IMO. But we should be lining up his replacement now. We need to have it nailed down rather than making a rushed decision once he does get fired.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I dont bethink Joe will fire Chauncey as the coach is Joes ticket for 3-4 more years as the Rebuild Turns. I dont see the Vulcanette telling Joe to fire Chauncey either. Just my gut feel.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. Phatguysrule

You could well be right

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm happy to talk about facts. If you have a question about how I feel about something specific, go ahead and ask. Your assumptions about what I'm thinking, who I'm talking about, what I'm hung up on, etc. have been wrong the majority of the time. I don't know your track record on defending or criticizing Billups, nor do I really care, as it is unrelated to my original point in this thread.

To be clear: My post was NOT about Stotts despite you wanting to make it that way. I do not think Billups is an awful coach who gets everything wrong or a perfect coach who gets everything right. He's an inexperienced coach, who was likely unqualified for the job when hired, coaching a bad roster.

Back to the topic at hand: I don't think it's time for Billups to go, I think it would probably be a net-negative at this point.

16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Agreed. To take it a step further, I don't think ownership will let Joe fire Billups. I don't see them wanting to pay Billups for multiple seasons to not coach.

17. Phatguysrule

Bingo. I'm hoping we're at least looking for his replacement.
    Blech... a 5 year deal...

Tince likes this.
  18. Phatguysrule

Blech... a 5 year deal...
    If we tried to trade him we'd likely be laughed off of the bargaining table.

19. BonesJones

If we "keep swapping coaches", how is that only about one coach? Anyway...
    You cared enough to try to claim I criticized him for clicks.

Whyachi likes this.
  20. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Portland runs their team like an assembly line. It seems very compartmentalized. I don't see a basketball Guru that can help connect everything together. I think that's what makes Billups a vital person for this franchise.

Everyone in the Front Office is an accountant, scout, or happy PR person. Molding everyone else's grand ideas into a competitive NBA squad is no easy task, but Billups is trying his darndest to make it all work.

Chauncey is a competitor, he's trying to get these guys winning. And when the GM says it's time to lose, Billups excels in benching hot hands to manipulate the score.

Tince likes this.