Bogus! We are quietly doing Philly's lame "process"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Apr 4, 2024.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I didn't say he was scared

I said it looked like he was straddling fences. That doesn't have to be from fear. Could just be major miscalculation; or edict out of Seattle

I do know there were a lot of posters here expecting significant moves at the trade deadline. I wasn't one of them because of my read of Cronin's vague intentions. I really don't know what he's planning for this summer. I've said a few times what my suspicion is though

by the way, a lot of my post was sarcasm

illmatic99 likes this.
  2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Scared of losing his job by stepping out of line with whatever the Vulcans wants.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'll wait until after this summer. I'm hoping Grant/Brogdon/Williams are all gone.

I'm fine with keeping Simons and Ayton one more year.

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This all is fine, but that was not my point.

As I have said ad nauseum, Cronin appears very confused about the direction of the team. His first deadline, he simply shed salary. Then during the offseason, he brings in Grant as a vet "star", but also drafts the youngest player in the lottery. Then follows that up by wasting the MLE on a vet who barely played for us. The he pivots again and sheds salary in Payton and Hart to attempt to go young again. Then he makes false promises about overpaying assets to get veteran help. Then he decides to take one of the youngest players in the lottery yet again. Then he decides to keep the vets he acquired in the Dame trade while re-signing Thybulle/Grant, while admitting the year will be about developing young guys. Then this deadline, he simply throws his hands up and does nothing. All while losing 61 games with the 14th highest payroll.

He has shown competence towards one thing during his tenure: shameless tanking.

And even THAT would be fine but every year he has signed vets in the summer only to sit them in place of g-league dudes. Tanking organically with guys you draft is somewhat acceptable. This bullshit...its par for the course with this guy.

But sure, let's all continue to wear blinders on this guy's incompetence.

All these contradictory moves scream of a guy who has no plan and one who isn't accountable for his actions.

Hinkie had a plan. Shed salary to the barebones. Get multiple shots on goal to land a superstar. I will take that any day of the week over the aimless plan Joe is trying to implement.

BIG Q, SharpesTriumph and wizenheimer like this.
  5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think we trade the golden state pick.

6. illmatic99

Lemme guess, he trades it for a vet because we want to win 28 games instead of 25.

He'll justify this until the deadline next year when we suck again and he comes up with fake injuries to sit yet another veteran in place of a guy he picks up from the Remix.

7. illmatic99

Wish more people would understand that this is what is happening. This is not process Sixers. It's the Wizards who kept losing 45+ games with Beal

8. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    id actually prefer to keep Brogdon over Ant. He is willing to come off the bench and would make a much better all around backup pg than Ant ever will.
    Plus he has said openly he is all in on mentoring the youngsters.

BIG Q and PtldPlatypus like this.
  9. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

What Philly did well is commit 100% to acquiring young long term talent and assets. I'd much rather have the Blazers do that than this bizarre vets they held onto of Grant/Thybulle/Timelord/Brogdon that still ended up last in the west, move those guys for picks.

What Philly could have done better is spend on some 1-2yr vet MLE free agents to teach young guys as well as possibly later flip for an asset. Indy did good with the Bruce Brown signing here. Also just a couple solid vet minimums in the 12th-15th roster spots would add a lot of maturity and development to help the whole roster. Instead Philly had all young guys up and down the roster all the way to undrafted players.

Philly still would've got those great high lottery picks with more of those vet minimums/ MLE vets. But it wouldn't have been such a joke of a 9 win type of team that can create a toxic organization.

BIG Q and AmirIcon like this.
  10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I agree he made a mistake here. I say he but who knows what kind of dumb short term win now direction Jody/Vulcan is also pushing.

Only good counter argument I can see is Cronin was holding out for a higher return when negotiating the trades but just couldn't close the deal. Yeah it's still a failure, but might be more of a gamble that he could get more trading them away later and it's just got delayed, then bad breaks with Timelord/Brogdons injuries.

11. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Sounds like you got it. The lines are pretty clear.

12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

No..... that is what we had with Dame.

How was our current roster anything like that?

We won 21 games this year. Yes, we were slightly more competitive than the Pistons or Wiz, but we have arguably more promising youth on our team. Definitely better than Washington. And what are those extra few wins gonna get Washington? There isn't a Wemby in this draft. Scoot would have been the number one pick if he had come out for this draft.

13. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

the Remix will be loaded next season. I'm guessing Cronin grabs at least 3 new rookies, maybe even all 4. Jody Allen wants a G-League championship trophy.

Chris Craig likes this.