We got the #3 pick. Discuss the possibilities.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, May 16, 2023.

?

What are you hoping for with this pick?

1. Draft Scoot and keep him

27.6%
  2. Draft Miller and keep him

28.6%
  3. Draft someone else at 3 and keep him (please specify)

3.1%
  4. Trade down, but still draft in the lottery

10.2%
  5. Trade the pick for a starting forward

30.6%
  1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I would also pass on Scoot as Im not sure he can improve his shooting and thats paramount for any guard in todays game. Just my opinion...

Phatguysrule, Strenuus and 42N8Bounce like this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

My best friend held onto my guns while we were showing our house. I just didn't want them in the house at all. When we were looking at houses, I can't tell you the number of times I saw guns in the master closet and that would make me EXTREMELY nervous if I was a realtor, completely ignoring the fact that they could just walk out with your blaster.

Tince likes this.
  3. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    You might have a different take if you ever got accused of something you didn't do.

SharpesTriumph, Tince and Natebishop3 like this.
  4. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Usually free throw % is an indicator on whether or not someone can improve their three point shooting. He shoots 76% at the line and is already really good in the mid-range so I don't see it being much of an issue. Ja Morant is a top 15 player without a great three-point shot.

His fit is less ideal next to Dame but he'd be the consensus #1 pick if it wasn't for Wemby.

Eastoff, STOMP, Ed O and 2 others like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hornets will not draft him as they are still dealing with the Bridges issue. Portland will probably pass and look at one of the other wings. Again, the pick is an asset to be used in a trade either before or after the draft.

6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Maybe I read it wrong, but I do not believe Miller or his agent have said he won't talk about his past/associations/behavoir/judgement... just none of those things in regards to the case. So if any question could be implied to do with the situation last year, he would be wise to not answer.

Do you believe their stance is that he's unwilling ot speak upon his childhood, parents, friends/teammates in high school, etc?

7. Hoopguru

He may turn out spectacular but 42.9 FG% is not great and 27.5 0n 3's isn't great.

8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

100%. I used to be the "If you have nothing to hide, then you should always be willing to talk to the police." guy. Then I had someone close to me find themselves in the middle of situation that got real ugly, real fast. They trusted the authorities, they cooperated (w/out an attorney), ended up being charged, offered multiple deals, paid ridiculous representation fees, and had their reputation ruined.

Had they hired an attorney, they almost certianly would've been advised to not say a word to the police, and therefore no case could've been brought against him.

At the end of the day, they were not found guilty, but the costs of speaking freely because they had nothing to hide, turned out to be a life changing mistake. I feel so stupid for all the idealistic thoughts I had about the justice system. And to be clear, I dont' think the justice system gets it wrong every time, but the police, detectives, judges, etc. are often incentivized to produce outcomes unrelated to what is truly best for society.

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that's pretty different than the Miller situation, according to police. Miller's friend texted Miller to get the gun and bring it to him at a street location outside a sports bar, after midnight. The reporting sure makes it seem Miller had to be monumentally naive to think he was delivering a gun for innocent reasons

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/dar...o-kill-jamea-jonae-harris-police-testify.html

I understand it's innocent until proven guilty, but this is pretty substantial baggage Miller has to carry and a team that drafts him has to disregard

10. wizenheimer

what I believe is that Charlotte and Portland have already interviewed him and weren't satisfied with his answers or conduct in the interviews. What the questions and discussions were, I don't know

I don't know that this is not a giant issue right now, but it is something dragging on his stock

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Tince likes this.
  11. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    He didn't take many 3s so I'm not too concerned about that. When he plays with NBA caliber players, I believe his percentages will increase due to easier looks.

No prospect is perfect, not even Wemby. I'd probably be more worried about his ability to stay healthy than Scoot's percentages. What Scoot has is upside. I think Miller will be a good player but he seems like a guy that struggles with athleticism and getting to the rim. Those will hold him back from being a star.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You’re skipping over important parts of the storyline:

“Miles hitched a ride from Miller to the "Strip" area in Tuscaloosa to go to a nightclub on Jan. 15, the night Harris was fatally shot. Miles, according to Miller's attorney Jim Standridge, brought his gun and left it -- concealed -- in the back seat of Miller's car. Miller's attorney alleges his client never saw or handled the gun.

According to AL.com, police believe Miller left to go eat because the line at a Strip restaurant was long. Around midnight, Miles asked for Miller to pick him up. Roughly an hour later, Miller left to go pick up Miles. It was around this time Miles texted Miller and asked that he bring his gun to where he was, according to police testimony. Miller then arrived to Miles' and Davis' location with the gun allegedly in his possession. It's unclear if Miller drove to the scene at the request of Miles or if the timing was merely coincidental.”

Any culpability on Miller’s part would depend on him knowing Miles was asking him to bring the gun back to Miles so that he could use it in the murder. If, as it appears Miller’s statement is, Miles put the gun in the backseat without telling Miller he was doing so, and if the first text simply asked him to come pick Miles up, there’s no problem there. Miller says he was already on his way to get Miles when the second text asking him to bring the gun came in. If all of that is true, then he wasn’t legally doing anything wrong. The police seem to believe the story so far since he hasn’t been charged with anything.

13. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

"No prospect is perfect, not even Wemby'. Don't knock him just because he can't walk on water. But he could sure propel himself with those God given flippers.

42N8Bounce and Strenuus like this.
  14. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing the hype from?

Tince likes this.
  15. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

There are several Big Boards that have Amen Thompson ahead of Miller. That's their personal evaluation. It doesn't mean they expect them to be drafted in that order.

Utility Sports: #4 Miller #3 Thompson #2 Henderson #1 Wembanyama

JB Hoops #6 Brandon Miller #5 Ausar Thompson #4 Cam Whitmore #3 Amen Thompson #2 Scoot Henderson #1 Wembanyama

Box and One: #4 Brandon Miller #3 Amen Thompson #2 Scoot Henderson #1 Wembanyama

illmatic99 and Tince like this.
  16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I dunno, for about 4 days that was the top news story it felt like. So I gather a large chunk of fans know. But it's not easily quantifiable anyway lol.

Tince likes this.
  17. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

I dont see this. There's no consensus on him being the #2 pick right now. Take Wemby out and it doesn't change anything

18. Strenuus

I'm a miller > scoot guy but millers off the court thing would really damper the hype ALA Billups.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  19. Strenuus

It's such a gray area with it because if he's already going to do that and then the second text comes in, at what point can Miller say no? Right there. So it's weird. It's a super quick decision and probably really difficult in the moment, on top of him presumably not knowing he was gonna use it then and there. But it's based off the knowledge he had no knowledge of the gun, and there's nothing to say he did or didn't know. Or, in court, reasonable doubt is rather easy on that.

20. wizenheimer

look....I have not said Miller is guilty of anything EXCEPT, unsatisfactory interviews as far as Portland and Charlotte were concerned. I'm not going to adjudicate the legal case. It's just about how Portland and Charlotte supposedly reacted to the interviews. It could have been the content of answers about the incident, or lack of; it could have been the answers, or the lack of, to questions only tangentially related to the investigation that would not have placed Miller in any legal jeopardy at all; it could have been Miller's conduct in the interviews. Or a combination of any or all of those. All we really have is Givony saying that the two teams left the interviews unhappy with what Miller said

Like Givony said, on one hand Miller's representatives are saying he's free & clear and did nothing wrong; on the other hand they are saying they can't talk about it. That's a huge gulf that has no satisfactory solution when the draft is less than a month away and the teams are deciding with which prospect they are willing to guarantee 20M with

keep in mind there is some loosely related context for this decision with the issues Ja Morant is having with guns

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    illmatic99 likes this.