What is the latest with Mike Miller?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Pinwheel1, Aug 31, 2015.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

That's cool. As I said, I only suggested it because I recalled people being high on Dekker. I'm in no rush to get rid of Plumlee - I think he could be a long-term piece for us. But I also think it could be prudent to trade him for a good starting SF. Sounds like that's not Dekker, though.

2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    We're so bad, we need a shooter/scorer, even with a low percentage. Miller is our Juan "The Mahn" Dixon.

riverman likes this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Miller is Lebron's close friend, signing him is like dating the ugly girlfriend to get to the hot one

Orion Bailey and dviss1 like this.
  4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I just realized that everyone in the NBA is LeBron's close friend.

Wheels, Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Doubt they'd go for Davis? And due to restrictions I can't run the revised trade to see if it works financially, but I think it'd be Davis for Dekker/McDaniels. And Neil'd probably get laughed at.
    I'd definitely prefer to keep Plumlee and trade Davis, but Plumlee has got to have way more trade value. I'm also not sold on Aminu, but hoping that he sells me as we get into the season - but for now I'd include him, Davis, and Henderson as my "most willing to trade for a high-upside SF". But I still think Plumlee/Vonleh/Leonard are the most valuable trade assets...I'm just not willing to include them in trades ATM.

Who are some high-upside SFs (or SGs) that we should target? I'm getting the impression that now that the draft is over nobody is high on Dekker anymore.

I'm also hoping that Harkless makes the quest for a SF unnecessary, but until that happens that's the position I think we need to focus on.

7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I was never high on Dekker. Unathletic. Not a defender. Seems like a taller, less athletic Pat C.
    I actually am pretty high on Aminu and I think we should develop him. He will be our best OTB defender. He played great against HOU, and while being pretty young has tons of upside. I know it's just a highlight reel but I love what I see. Especially defensively:

riverman likes this.
  8. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    It would be hard to keep Miller on the bench considering he's our best SF, and our only consistent 3pt shooter after Leonard on the roster currently.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Sorry, but Leonard doesn't have the minutes to be considered a consistent 3pt threat anymore than Dame is a consistent 3pt threat.
    Dame had a bad second half of the season, but what is his 3pt % for his career?
    Dame is one of our few 3pt threats.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Henderson is a really good 3 pt shooter from the corners only, Vonleh shoots the 3 and CJ should make some 3s..after that Miller shoot help improve Harkless, Aminu, Frazier, Pressy's and Connaughton's range and accuracy. Crabbe should make his share of 3s as well..it's a work in progress for sure but that's where Miller will have some value. He'll be in the end of the games when we're down a bucket at crunch time.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Yet another reason I don't want him in Scarlet and Black...

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Just because someone is a great shooter doesn't mean they can help teach other players to become better shooters. Maybe he can, but until he does it's a pretty giant leap to make.

13. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

With 17 players under contract at this time, at least 2 cuts have to happen before opening night. It comes down to:
    - Mike Miller ($3.3M guaranteed contract, 35 years old)
    - Phil Pressey (non-guaranteed contract)
    - Tim Frazier (non-guaranteed contract)
    - Luis Montero (partially-guaranteed contract, $100K)
    - Cliff Alexander (partially-guaranteed contract, $100K)

One cut will be Phil Pressey or Tim Frazier. I can't see the Blazers keeping both. Training camp will determine who's staying.

That means that the other cut has to come from Miller, Montero, or Alexander. With the current push towards developing talent over wins this season, I find it hard to believe that the Blazers would let Alexander or Montero go and keep Miller just because he has a guaranteed contract. Also, I can't see the Blazers wanting to keep Miller because he'll bring value and a few extra wins. He's definitely not part of the future core. Since the Blazers are well under the minimum team salary, eating his $3.3M contract shouldn't be an issue.

I'm guessing Miller is still around only because the Blazers are looking at trying to obtain an asset for him in a trade (perhaps a 2nd rounder), or to continue to work with him on a reasonable buy-out.

UKRAINEFAN, Eastoff, dviss1 and 3 others like this.
  14. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    Plus, tiaras.

15. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Frazier and Miller will be the ones who are cut, IMO.

UKRAINEFAN and Eastoff like this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The Blazers are waiting for the best deal to come along for them...they are letting the line sit in the water for awhile. If there is no deal by the end of training camp then we will either decide to waive him, to make room for one of the unguaranteed contracts, which I don't see happening. It is more likely the Blazers will hold on to him until we deal him. I am not sure how keen Miller will be/is about taking a role with the Blazers...he'd rather force a buyout.

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Actually we'll cut Pressey and Alexander

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Or Frazier and Alexander..Pressy will give Frazier a run for his money in training camp

19. Chris Craig

Pressey may give Frazier a run for his money, but I think in the end Frazier is the better player...Pressey has a hard worth ethic, but his play has just not been there, and while Frazier hasn't been amzing he's shown promise, and seems to have the better upside. Either way Alexander will not be here come the start of the season, as his spot will go to Baby Batum (Montero)

20. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    And Miller. Don't forget we'll cut Miller.