With the 7th pick in the 2024 NBA Draft, The Portland Trailblazers select. . .

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by inconceivable, May 12, 2024.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I imagine they like the 2 day because it doesn't pressure them to make as many quick, risky, decisions. Time to digest 1st round moves before the 2nd round

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Rusillo said 1= 8 or so unless i heard wrong.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  3. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

This info also comes from someone quoting a random GM. I imagine others would rank it slightly differently. I think Sarr is taken 5th last year between the Thompson twins, personally.

illmatic99 likes this.
  4. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I heard one executive told him #10 but others were different yes maybe 7 or 8.

5. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Knecht concerns me a bit having only played one year of major college basketball, but freshmen do that every year, but they are three years younger. I am loving the fight in Edey at the combine. Very impressive. I have liked his game for two seasons now, and then he takes the combine as serious as can be done. He is ready to contribute offensively and rebounding right away. I'm coming around thinking his defense won't be as bad as most think.

Wizard Mentor and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Saw someone say this was the draft of a bunch of #7 picks. I think that’s accurate

Wizard Mentor and theprunetang like this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Yeah, those are JOSH HART numbers of rebounds. I know we have a bazillion guards, but this one PLAYS DEFENSE. #7 might be a reach (but probably not) but with the GS pick you're probably getting a rotation player (especially once we trade Anfernee).

8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I very much doubt that he'll fall to 7, though.

9. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

There was also some comment of draft tier lists, I think someone at ESPN did it, and the last few years there's been 9 guys in tier 1 and 2 which is very strong drafts. This year there are 0.

10. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

have also hear while its a crap draft at top, its a very deep draft out to 40-45 area, so perhaps out 30 and 40 pick could get some action

11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    This is the optimistic way of looking at it: you're listing the players DRAFTED 10 or lower, but what the evaluators are saying is that the QUALITY is 10 or lower. Obviously Jokic was, in fact, the best player in that draft. Plus I imagine scouting of foreign leagues has gotten much better since then, especially judging by all the foreign players ranked highly this year.

12. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Displeased. Because of the Knecht pick, mainly, and then not feeling too excited about Edey.

Knecht is old and unproven and not a very good defensive player. He isn't as good of a shooter as Sheppard and he doesn't fit a need. I'm interested to see his measurements (his vertical reach and wingspan were more than I anticipated in the maybe-wrong measurements posted) but it would take a lot to convince me the Blazers should take him at 7. Maybe 14, but I doubt he lasts that long.

Edey is an amazing college player and I wouldn't hate him at 14, especially if he can shoot from the perimeter like he showed yesterday, but I don't think his game translates well to the modern NBA (I don't think we'd run an offense around his post game, for example).

13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Knecht Is already old?

14. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

he's already 23

Ed O and BIG Q like this.
  15. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I would not be upset with that at all. I don’t have my heart set on it either though.
    Seems like a bunch of speculation at this point.

16. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Simons length and height is fine for a guard, he can finish above the defense. He's one of the only Blazers that can light it up, bust out shots in the forest of giants. Anfernee's height & skillset is the least thing to worry about with this team moving forward

The NBA has good coaching that can adjust, and now Ant faces traps and double teams. If the Blazers had good coaching, they could use the traps to their advantage. Watch the Mavs with Luka, they pass and pass out of the trap. They don't just settle for the open jump shot. They use slashing and filthy dunks alongside splashes from deep.

Adding an inch or 2 doesn't make Ant a juggernaught, Simons is what he is... a featherweight PG that got shoved into SG, so the other PG can try to get their game on. Sneak in another guard for the Olshey 3 guard special.

Maybe the new Blazers are an inch or 2 taller then previous years.... but so is the rest of the NBA.

Marang saying the Blazers only have 1 guy who's under 6'8" ?? It sounded like Danny is using the Banton Bombers to justify a tall & lengthy Cronin strategy. Let's not forget, that team went 2-19 in the final 6 weeks.

here's a weird Danny take from 2 years ago. A "fan" was complaining about too many guards, because the Blazers keep getting torched in the paint.

Danny shut that complainer up while his buddy Sprague was holding his hand....
    ... Ant is growing, "Baby Giannis"... Simons is halfway to becoming a 6'10" beast with a full compliment of NBA venom

skip to 43:50

https://www.youtube.com/live/uex5KmFzGD0?si=fUZT6--02oaKjxzE

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Wizard Mentor and BBert like this.
  17. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder if this is the year to try and trade for the first pick. I could live with Holland or Clingan, but not excited about either. Even though he is a project, I love the idea of Sarr at 4 next to Ayton. It seems like this would be one of the easiest years to move up to 1. It just depends on what the Hawks would want. We have a lot of young cheap trade fodder and we need to thin the herd a bit anyway.

18. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    once again we are in the same spot of being a middling team with questionable talent, a decent pick position, and a pretty good history of picking largely mid players.
    the universe does as the universe does.
    flirt with the hope, but embrace the disappointment

19. Blazinaway

But what are you going to get for what most feel is a lousy draft? We don't want need vets, we are trying to rebuild I think and need talent which the draft provides. We trust out Schmidt and take our chances. Only way I see trading our pick/s is to move up or down for another pick or perhaps with one of our vets for perhaps a good young player drafted the past few years.

20. Blazinaway

Correct measurements came in for Castle...

Castle measures 6’5.5”, 6’9” wingspan, 210 pounds officially.

BankTeller, Reep, UKRAINEFAN and 4 others like this.