Exclusive All things Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, May 19, 2023.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

The majority of one & doners don't turn into anything close to the special talents you listed. Many might have been better served by finishing out their scholarship , and getting a degree. And with NIL , players who show promise do get paid to play in school now. And most one and doners, don't have as gorgeous a shot and release as Dame does. Or will ever develop it. That thing is a Gift from God.

2. tykendo

And a ton of hard work refining it.

3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

tykendo likes this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am coming around to Amen. Honestly, I would be happy with him or Scoot or Miller. I can see a long-term benefit for each.

But since this is an Amen thread....those who commented about the flexibility of Amen are winning me over. When you have a wing who can potentially guard a SF on D and who can be your PG on O, it really makes it easier to surround him with shooters. There are a lot of combo guards out there who can shoot but really can't effectively run an offense, especially come playoff time when the defenses are turned up a notch. So having a guy like Amen for the long term makes sense.

RickyJoe, BankTeller and cheesehoff like this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Ben Simmons says hello!

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Tell him hi for me and what is between his ears is also important

7. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

There’s a big advantage to being one of the two teams Scoot works out for. Amen and Ausar will be working out with multiple teams. Any leaks stating Scoot wow’d us and CHA, and that might be what pushes GMs to give up parts of their future for him. #5 begins to look interesting, bringing back Harden makes me think Whitmore is the better fit for HOU. If DET even considers giving up Duren, we have to entertain it.

8. BankTeller

He ultimately makes our roster easier to build in his prime as well.

Two 3-D wings would give us the tallest lineup in the league and the most athletic backcourt. But there’s also the ability for us to find a good two way PG and one 3-D wing. C becomes increasingly easier to find. If Dereck Lively is a guy Schmitz identifies as a foundational piece to a defense, we have assets to be able to get him at the end of the night. If not him, Schmitz will find an athletic defensive C in the future.

9. cheesehoff

cheesehoff Well-Known Member

It is absolutely worth the risk imo. If Amen is gone, I take Ausar. I actually think Ausar will be better. Not as many highlight dunks, but a better all around player. I don't see the gap between 2-8 or 9 to be nearly as wide as everyone else. I really don't get the love for Scoot. He is pretty one dimensional imo. I think the TT's can be Scoot + much better D, better passers, better rebounders, more unselfish at running an offense. If moving to 6 gets us 11 and/or Wagner or WCJ, I would be all over it. Add Ant to get 3 of those 4 and I would be elated. I imagine Ant + #3 for #6, #11 and WCJ. Ausar, Hendricks or Lively or Wallace or Hawkins and WCJ would be an amazing start to the draft. I realize it might mean a total rebuild and that's okay. It's the only way to build the roster to make us contenders. We'd still have 23 (Nnaji, Clowney) and 43 (Vukcevic, Sasser, Coulibaly, Tshiebwae), too.

TBpup likes this.
  10. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

What would be telling is if Scoot eventually works out for Houston. If they want him they will have to work him out.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  11. tykendo

The better these players workout, the better for the Blazers at #3. If the Blazers draft Scoot or Miller, they have to be great. If other teams want Scoot or Miller, the haul back has to be great. Those are awesome cards the Blazers are holding. Nice, for a change.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  12. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Why does Houston have to work him out? If they're convinced enough by his tape they can make the trade without working him out.

BankTeller likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

If Thompson had a decent shot I’d be over the moon. But his shot is extremely concerning to me.

blazerkor, BIG Q and Hoopguru like this.
  14. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Its amazing how players are hyped nowadays.

15. BankTeller

If he had a decent shot, he would be the consensus #2 overall pick, and we wouldn’t even have the possibility to draft him.

BIG Q likes this.
  16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

he said today he is only working out for Portland and Charlotte.

BIG Q likes this.
  17. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Ben Simmons when engaged and healthy (not too often) was a helluva player even though he could not shoot and was a mental midget, this guy is an even better athlete and likely better PG and seems to really want it.

TBpup likes this.
  18. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard that. That is why I said it would be telling if he eventually added a workout with Houston.

19. BankTeller

It would probably be something like #3 and Nurk for #6, #11, WCJ, And Bol. Ant doesn’t really fit their team—they would be adding Ant to Scoot, Fultz, Anthony, and Suggs.

But I think that #11, #23, and #43 can either add another piece some way. At #11, we can either draft Lively or move us up to draft Hendricks. #23 can help add a SF or be traded for a player that fits the TPE. I think having more than two rookies is a little too many with Dame on the team. There’s enough youth on that squad.

Dame/Ant/Thompson/Mays
    Ant/Sharpe/Thybulle/Mays
    _____/Thompson/Nas/Thybulle
    Grant/Watford/Walker
    WCJ/____/Lively/Bol

#23, #43, the TPE, and MLE just need to bring in veterans. If the purpose of getting rid of Ant is to compete, it makes more sense to just keep him and bank on any extra growth. Ant and Grant a big enough contracts to trade for a star wing if one comes up, we have future 2nds to give up to unprotect our pick.

20. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Very risky, but sure, they could.