Trade Ben Simmons poll

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 21, 2021.

?

What's the most you would give up for Ben Simmons?

1. CJ + RoCo for Simmons and scrubs

9.7%
  2. CJ for Simmons

62.1%
  3. It depends on our new coach

3.4%
  4. I'm not trading for that bum!

24.8%
  1. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Did it work? All they have to show for like 5 seasons of losing is a fragile Embiid and a flawed Ben Simmons that can’t even net them CJ. The Process didn’t work. Neil’s team got to a conference final. The Sixers haven’t.

2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The process was good... the problem was after Heinke, guys like Colangelo and Brand drafted Markele Fultz, traded assets for Jimmy Butler, then didn't resign Butler.

Idog1976 and Buffalo Custard like this.
  3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

We haven't won a conference game since when?

Look, if we had lost 4-2 or 4-3, I'd look back at that conference finals with some shred of happiness. But to give up 3 (THREE) 20 point leads... who cares that we even made it at that point. We have only downgraded since then and this year is put up or shut up. The past means nothing at this point.

All that to say, I do laugh at Philly. Lol

Idog1976 likes this.
  4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Idog1976 likes this.
  5. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    That’s fair. I do think Dame and Billups are far, far better equipped to help him overcome it than Rivers and Embiid.

BBert likes this.
  6. Idog1976

I look to the stars.

I never said anything of the sort. I just haven't seen a compelling argument why running it back and hoping for a change from the same formula is better than trading for Simmons in a swing for the fences move. Im open to other opinions and especially compelling arguments. Im also far from the only person on here who thinks this way about CJ vs. Simmons.

brooklynballer likes this.
  7. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Oh, you're mistaking pure unadulterated rage and murderous impulses for "crying". I usually don't get those two mixed up, hence my confusion.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  8. SharpesTriumph

The tone of this post is very different from your earlier posts. I'm honestly on the fence if you are wrong or right.

But I've seen CJ supporters belittled by many, and they ultimately could be right in that CJ is better for the Blazers than Simmons.

Fans are inherently impatient, clamoring for changes when an NBA team doesn't win. 29 of 30 teams don't win, so its easy to do. That doesn't mean making big changes gets the team any closer to winning, often changes make a team worse, and continuity is underrated.

No matter the decisions the Blazers take they will most likely not win a title in the Dame era. That's just the reality of 29 of 30 teams coming up short every season.

Hoopguru and Idog1976 like this.
  9. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I will fully own, that I've never been a CJ fan for more than a game or two in brief spurts. For example the Denver epic he put together was amazing. That said, I didn't want to draft the guy, I wanted Giannis (seriously) and I guess I hold that against him to an unfair degree.

However, the matter at hand is whether CJ or Simmons would help the team more. I definitely feel Simmons would if he brings the effort. That's with Simmons as is, not even counting him bumping his FT% to 70%+ which I think is achievable with the right support and coaching. I could also be wrong and Simmons could flame out. I think he would still have more value than CJ at that point, but perhaps I'm wrong.

As to tone, yeah well I've been super angry about Olshey and also I contain multitudes... :smiley-dizzy:

h/T to Walt Whitman

blazerkor likes this.
  10. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

You’re making my point. Philly didn’t even get to that level.

11. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I know he doesn’t have a formal “say” on the matter, but Ben wants Cali, probably LA. He very well could want out of Portland ASAP should he join. How would that affect Neil if Clutch flat out said Ben wants to be in LA?

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  12. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    On one hand, they are trying to argue he's so good he's worth trading Lillard for. On the other, they are saying he's such a piece of shit they have to fine him for not coming to practice. Nothing boosts a guy's trade value like the team trading him publicly fining him for not wanting to be on the team.

This is an insanely bad look for the Sixers organization. Who is going to be excited to come to a team where if things go wrong you'll get treated like Simmons? This kind of shit should be handled behind closed doors. I'd be enraged if I were a Sixers fan at how badly they've managed this. Did they hire that producer from Jeopardy to give them personnel advice?

Simmons is clearly a prima donna. But there are smart ways and dumb ways to handle prima donnas. This isn't the smart way.

As for Simmons, he should keep doing everything he can to throw the Sixers under the bus. Show up for practice and just stand there or play with his phone or lift weights, because hey, $308k is no joke. They own his time, but not his attitude. The worse he tanks his value, the less talent he'll be traded for and the more talent he'll have to work with on his new team. You don't worry about the bridge you just burned while looking for the next bridge.

Sixers training camp starts September 28. I have a hard time believing they really think it'll be a positive thing for Simmons to be there. And I don't think they actually want to follow through with fining him. But they also don't want to be seen as going back on their threat at this point, or they look like even bigger idiots.

Intentionally or not, I wonder if Morey has effectively started a countdown timer to a trade.

Eastoff, 42N8Bounce, Idog1976 and 3 others like this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

This paragraph speaks volumes and pretty much sums up my every thought.

Idog1976 likes this.
  14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Then Neil would be foolish to do it but they've come out and said that he wants to play for any team that isn't the Sixers. So with him under contract for 4 years he'd be a good investment as long as he is open to playing with Dame and for Billups. Let us get his value up, get him playing the correct position, see if we can sell him on Portland and if he won't extend by the summer of 2024 then we trade him for a fuckton more than CJ could ever get us.

I know it's just rumor but the idea that we're worried about a talent like Simmons' fit and are supposedly the team more hesitant to make a CJ for Ben swap is maddening because I could actually see Olshey being of this mindset without Klutch saying shit about LA.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I think Chris Sheridan forgot CJ was on our team when he wrote this. No wonder it's in Maxim of all places. The bolded sentence is eye opening.

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS (+200)
    Why these guys are the favorites is beyond me, unless someone knows something about Damian Lillard that is not yet public. I know this: When Lillard was a member of Team USA at the Olympics in Tokyo over the summer, I was the journalist who asked him whether he was satisfied with the Blazers’ offseason moves, and he said that he was.

Portland, now officially an anarchist zone, is only two years removed from being in the Western Conference Finals and now has Larry Nance Jr. to replace Carmelo Anthony, Cody Zeller backing up Jusuf Nurkic and Dennis Smith Jr. to back up Lillard.

They are a fairly rock solid team, and in order to get Simmons they would have to start their trade package with Robert Covington, who is their best perimeter defender. They’d also have to throw in a bunch of other players to make the salaries match, and right now Covington is more valuable than Simmons. I cannot see this happening.

https://www.maxim.com/sports/ben-si...=fb_page&utm_medium=Maxim&utm_campaign=social

16. SharpesTriumph

You make it sounds like the 6ers are the first team to act this way....

New Orleans had it with both CP3 and AD, Minny with Butler, Hardin in Houston.

All cases the player got traded, but sometimes it went on for nearly a year.

Philly is a few months into this. If they don't like the offers they can stand pat. Yes it might be a distraction, but trading Simmons for a bunch of crap won't bring them playoff success either.

17. illmatic99

18. SharpesTriumph

Summary?

19. illmatic99

our current head coach hasn't always had the highest opinion of Ben.

20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Billups wasn't bullish on Simmons before the draft. He felt he was the best player the first year Simmons played, which was his second year but didn't think he should qualify for ROY. Thought that the Sixers should have been thinking about trading Simmons last off season and they were. Maybe the point was trying to be made that Chauncey isn't too high on Simmons but that's not necessarily what comes out of the three videos. To me despite him not loving Ben too much out of college, the videos seem to suggest that Ben has impressed Chauncey at times since being in the league.

BBert, Idog1976 and Haakzilla like this.