Plans to bring a WNBA team to Portland have fallen through

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 1, 2023.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

These reasons are exactly why getting new sports venues in Portland are important. Even the Hops bring in revenue. Both the men’s and women’s soccer leagues bring in revenue. Goes just the same for baseball.

2. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Some people have low self esteem and have to criticize things to make themselves feel better. Message boards are full of this.

Eastoff, SlyPokerDog and THE HCP like this.
  3. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

This is the real reason. With the Blazers moving to Seattle, and the Moda/MC complex being torn down to build a homeless camp, the WNBA didn't want to commit to PDX.

barfo

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

There are a few sports that I enjoy watching women play for sure. Soccer is number 1 with me, but also golf and tennis!

Reep likes this.
  5. Kano John

Kano John Start 'em young!

Retired
    If I recall the problem with the Fire was an ownership issue.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I agree on tennis (which has come a long way in the last 40 years) for sure, and would add track.

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

8. SlyPokerDog

How the WNBA-to-Portland plans fell apart days before expected announcement

Portland’s dreams of landing a WNBA expansion franchise fell apart more than a week before the league announced it was holding off on awarding the city a new team, when millionaire and prospective owner Kirk Brown left the project over a host of issues with the league.

A source close to the project told The Oregonian/OregonLive that Brown, the co-founder of the company that is now ZoomInfo, pulled out days before an announcement scheduled for Oct. 26, leaving the team without a principal owner and without the $50 million expansion fee the league requires.

“This thing fell apart because Kirk pulled out, not any other reason,” one source said.

The Oregonian/OregonLive’s attempts to reach Brown this week have been unsuccessful. A representative declined to comment throughout the week and in response to follow-up messages Wednesday and Thursday.

Among the issues that derailed the plans were a difference of opinion between Brown and the league over the team’s name and branding, sources said. One source said Brown wanted the team to be called the Rose City Royalty, while WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert was thought to be uncomfortable with the connotation.

Another issue was Brown’s ownership stake in Shoot 360, a basketball training center with locations across the country. A source said the WNBA saw that as a potential conflict of interest and wanted him to give up that investment, which Brown refused to do.

The issues created an icy relationship between Brown and Engelbert, sources said. According to multiple sources, Brown was uncomfortable with the many conditions of joining the ranks of WNBA ownership, leading him to withdraw at the 11th hour.

Since The Oregonian/OregonLive first reported Wednesday that plans for a new WNBA franchise had fallen through, sources have equated the deal to a football team not scoring from the 1-yard line, Ben Simmons passing up an open layup and a wedding being called off right before “I do.”

Numerous sources were floored to read Engelbert’s letter to Sen. Ron Wyden on Wednesday, suggesting that the WNBA was holding off on awarding an expansion franchise to Portland over concerns about the timing of the Trail Blazers’ renovations to Moda Center. Those renovation plans have been well known for months and would not have been a surprise to the WNBA.

In the 10 days or so since Brown’s stunning about-face, groups in Portland have been working desperately to salvage the deal, including trying to recruit a new ownership group. It is unclear who might step forward to try to win back a bid or whether the WNBA would even entertain it. Many close to the deal feel the WNBA has backed itself into a corner by pinning the decision on Moda Center renovations.

“It just makes it look like they didn’t do their due diligence,” a source said.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2...-apart-days-before-expected-announcement.html

Eastoff and RR7 like this.
  9. SlyPokerDog

If this is true it's pretty shitty that the WNBA Commissioner decided to place the blame on the Blazers and the Moda Center.

AldoTrapani, Eastoff, OR-84 and 7 others like this.
  10. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

I'd like 30k, I still wouldn't watch the WNBA though.

11. Charcoal Filtered

Have you seen women's basketball in person? I do not find the WNBA entertaining on TV but would definitely go to a game. Same goes for G League basketball. For less popular sports, getting better seats definitely adds to the value. Have not sit in them yet but have second row seats for the Remix. Here is the view from my row A Thorns seats. If I had to choose, the Timbers and Blazers would be first to go before I give up either of my significantly lower priced Thorns or Remix season tickets.

[​IMG]

12. SlyPokerDog

We need more sports featuring dogs.

kjironman1 likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

dog racing and Tijuana kink shows aren't enough? You got your black velvet poker playing merch!
    We could add a dog hot dog eating contest!

14. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Yes. Certainly this is my opinion, but to me women's volleyball looks 10% less athletic than mens. Women's basketball looks 90% less athletic to me. I appreciate WNBA players have good fundamentals though. The net in women's volleyball is lower than the mens. Maybe if they lowered the rim for women it would help make it look better?

Charcoal Filtered likes this.
  15. Charcoal Filtered

That is fair. Not sure if they have tried that or not. The high level women's game I watched were two national teams. Thought the play was pretty entertaining.

16. kjironman1

Fetch might be a winner?

SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  17. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Mushing!

I find hockey on TV boring but exciting in person.

Eastoff and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. kjironman1

With ya there.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Someone want to help me understand what uncomfortable connotation exists here?

Phatguysrule likes this.
  20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'm reeeeeeally reaching here, but some people's negative views of the royal family? Seems like a very stupid reason if that was it.
    I could see if it was something like, the Kings play in Sacramento, so it'd be weird to have another "royal"-ish name elsewhere?