Trade Realistic trade ideas

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OSUBlazerfan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed

Do any of our guards have positive defensive stats? :dunno:

2. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Agreed

3. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Put another way... if you want to trade any of our Big Bad 3 (ET, Biebs, Crabbe), you have to give them a player they'll want on a reasonable contract - that's Mo.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

LOL, like that proves anything. Crabbe was the third Cal player in 4 years to win Pac-12 Player of the year. The other two were Jerome Randle and Jorge Gutierrez. How are those guys doing in the NBA. Shit, they must be fucking awesome. They won Pac-12 Player of the Year and we know how much that guarantees success at the next level.

LOL, again. Trying to do something and doing it successfully are two different things, Yeah, Crabbe tried to do those things early in the season. That explains his .344 3FG% in November. Once he stopped trying to do the things he can't and focused on the one thing he can (knocking down wide open catch and shoot 3-pointers) his 3FG% went back where it should be.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Hypocrite much? You had no problem throwing all of Swanigans college accolades out there in another debate. But I guess it only matters if it's someone you like, right?

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  6. Boob-No-More

Don't tag me in a post and then put words in my mouth. Either quote what I actually said or leave me out of the discussion.

Nowhere in this thread have I said Crabbe sucks. I said he's 1-dimensional and provided stats to back up my opinion. I didn't say he is 0-dimensional. I said he does one thing well - knock down wide open catch and shoot 3-pointers. That's a fact and it's easy to prove.

All your jabbering about how great he would be in a different situation is total speculation. In his time in Portland, he has not shown the ability to do anything else (rebound, pass, create his own shot, defend, etc.). Until he proves he can do at least one other thing at close to average level, he is, by definition, 1-dimensional.

BNM

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Boob-No-More

No, actually I didn't. You must be thinking of someone else. I NEVER once have mentioned (until now) that Caleb Swanigan was Big 10 Player of the year, 1st Team All American, Naismith Award Finalist or Wooden Award Finalist.

Swear to god, this is the first time I mentioned any of those things. So, I ask you to do the same thing I just asked your fellow Crabbe fanboy to do: quote me or leave me out of your discussion.

BNM

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This is what I think we should do with the roster and what spots we need to fill(though not urgently enough to make a bad trade/move hindering the future)

1A & 1B moves, and this is huge because it dictates the rest of the smaller lineup reasoning:

CJ is done as backup PG. He is our starting SG. Period.
    ET is not our SF off the bench. He is our PG off the bench. Period.

Starting lineup goes as this currently:

Dame
    CJ
    Harkless
    Vonleh
    Nurkic

2nd unit and no more playing Dame a full quarter crap. The second unit replaces the first unit always, with two exceptions. Foul trouble and glaring match up issues/advantages:

ET
    Crabbe
    Layman
    Aminu
    Collins

garbage timers:

Napier
    Connaughton
    ???
    Davis/Leonard
    Swannigan/Leonard

I truly believe Vonleh is going to take that leap this coming year playing along side Nurk. I think he is fine for next year as our PF and hopefully for the future, but next year will give us the final answer.
    So to me the biggest starting lineup weakness is Harkless and is inconsistency. A poor man's Batum all over again.
    This is the last major upgrade we need to target, while simultaneously working the cap space to make room for the signing of Nurk and potentially Vonleh if he breaks out.

Obviously that foolish dream of PG is gone for the realists, so who is out there that is an improvement over Harkless?
    Ideally, Id like ot keep Hark and add him to the second unit.
    ET
    Crabbe
    Harkless
    Aminu
    Collins

I think that might be the best second unit in the NBA if Collins works out. Def, the best defensively. This will slide Laymen into the garbage time ????? slot and fill in the holes.

SO. How do we improve that slot while retaining our team and making room for signing Nurk, etc ?

First, Leonard & Davis are better than end of bench and making more money than end of bench is warranted, so we need to move these two players by the end of next season to make room for signing Nurk ( and that's lowballing, but I think he wants to be here badly and will take a little less in order to make it all work).

Last problem I cant solve easily. Improving the SF spot. So who do we have left to get rid of to make room for the imrpvoed SF salray requirements? Well first, we need to look at who is available and what their salaries are in order to determine how much room we need to make. We are tight, so we cant spend much.

Id like to see if we cant work something out for either Justise Winslow form the heat or Kyle Anderson from the Spurs. Both on less than $3M contracts, young with growth potential and both already great defenders.
    If Vonleh can become consistent on his outside game on offense, then we really need this 3 spot to be our defensive anchor on the perimeter and I think one of these guys can do that.

So there you have it.
    In my opinion, we need to retain the team we have and go after Winslow or Anderson to upgrade the 3spot defensively and I think we are really solid for the next year or two. Then the contracts become expiring and we can make more moves to improve for those who are not working out.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2993874/kyle-anderson

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3135047/justise-winslow

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Actually Anderson might be the better defender and the easier target because of the depth in that position for the Spurs. He only got 12.9 minutes a game last year....

10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I honestly doubt the Blazers are going to trade any of these guys any time soon. Maybe at the trade deadline. For now this is our team. I expect the Blazers to give Crabbes, Vonleh, Davis, Turner and even Meyers a chance to see how they've improved, and how they fit.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Was Crabbes foot injury something that happened at the end of the season or was it something he'd been dealing with for a while (like Davis with his shoulder)?

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  12. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

It proves everything actually because you don't become Pac 12 player of the Year by just only being able to shooting wide open catch and shoot three pointers. And why are you just focusing on former Cal players who have won that title? I said Pac 12 not Cal Player of the Year. That includes Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, USC, UCLA, Washington, etc. and it was decided that Crabbe was better then every player on all those other teams.

You don't know why he decided to stop doing those things and neither do I so until you actually talk to Crabbe or he says why in an interview it is only your opinion and pure speculation on what you think is the reason he stopped doing these things. Not a fact.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Scalma likes this.
  13. Boob-No-More

I listed the Cal players because they all played in the same system as Crabbe at relatively the same time. They were all also upper classmen - two seniors and junior

I didn't say anything about why he stopped doing those things, just that once he did and focused on the one thing he does well, his 3FG% increased from below league average to 2nd in the league. It doesn't matter why he stopped doing the things he doesn't do well, it only matters that he stopped doing them. They were detracting from his game.

BNM

14. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

Cal is one school in the Pac 12. It is not the Pac 12.

Name me one other player who was Pac 12 Player of the Year who only shot wide open catch and shoot three pointers or was 1 dimensional? Like you say Crabbe is.

I'll wait.........................

Those are your words and seems to me you did say something about why he stopped doing those things.

15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Pac-12 POY doesn't mean shit.

CBB isn't the NBA. He doesn't even break guys down in college. He didn't even get 3 assists per 40 in college. He excelled off of the same shots he geys now, he just got more good looks because college defenders aren't as good or big as NBA defenders.

He rarely made a good move to get to the rim or collapse the defense for someone else. It was a straight, easy, uncontested drives or jumpers.

Games translate differently to the NBA, and even if he could create his own shot and shots for others in college, it doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA.

Your argument is "He won this award in college so he can create offense", and your arguing against a 4 year sample size of NBA data, and even you can't admit you've seen Crabbe create consistently on an NBA level, because he hasn't, and opportunity isn't the reason.

16. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

So Adam Morrison is a future hall of famer right? Because Gonzaga?

The NBA is a completely different game. Defenders are too quick to be broken down by Crabbes rudimentary ball handling, and Crabbe isn't quick enough to blow by them.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  17. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Then why hasn't he shown even the slightest glimpse of that in all his playing time or even during summer league?

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It's hilarious how crabbe haters will just make up stuff to fit their argument. Crabbe was hardly just a spot up shooter in college (nor is he now). Just because a guy doesn't break a defender off the dribble doesn't mean he's one dimensional. Playing off the ball is a skill. Working screens is a skill. Not everyone can do it. Crabbe was pretty much unstoppable in college off the ball. Go watch any college tape on him. Here's one ()

You don't have to have the ball in your hands to be a multi dimensional scorer. I honestly don't understand why this is still a debate. Even in the NBA he's been multi dimensional. He had one of the better pick and roll games with Ed Davis two years ago. Don't believe me? Here you go:

Next.

19. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    To Portland:
    Ricky Rubio (2 years left)

To Minnesota:
    Evan Turner (3 years left)
    2018 first-round pick

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Maybe if it's top 20 protected. Would it at least get us below the tax threshold? If it did, we could go after someone like McLemore to fill Turners spot on the wing.