Politics The Florida GOP

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Voodoo, Feb 28, 2023.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Volusia County principal resigns after sending $100K to scammer posing as Elon Musk

OAK HILL, Fla. —
    The longtime principal of a charter school in southeast Volusia County resigned under fire Tuesday night after it was discovered she wrote a $100,000 check out of the school's account to an Internet scammer posing as Elon Musk.

“I love this school more than anything else. If it means your administration is going to stay, I'm turning in my resignation,” principal Jan McGee said.

McGee has been the principal of Burns Science and Technology in Oak Hill since it opened in 2011. The school, with just under 1,000 students, is A-rated and has a huge waiting list.

McGee claims she was scammed online by a fake Elon Musk after spending months talking to this person in hopes of getting the space pioneer to invest millions in the school in exchange for a $100,000 upfront investment.

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-principal-scammed-elon-musk/43446499#

2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

This is a technology school? Oi vey!

Chris Craig, riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    What a fucking moron.

riverman likes this.
  4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Florida considering a bill that would remove a book from all schools statewide if one person complains.

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So, no books then.

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Oldest trick in the book. A billionaire philanthropist who is going to donate to your school does not ask for money.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

Students will only be allowed to read what is presented to them via burning bush.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

No one does puns and names like LetterKenny.

Chris Craig likes this.
  9. SlyPokerDog

10. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

11. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Sure, housing is expensive and people don't have health care. But no one has to learn about racism or Nazis or queers or that men have penises.

12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Since the pandemic most everything has sky rocketed in cost. I do our personal finances and see it big time from food, utilities, restaurants, etc. The supply chain crises gave companies and incentive to get greedy. Hope as competition strengthens consumer prices on things will go down.

THE HCP likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

14. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

It's not going to get better.

A lot of the supply chain stuff has its origins in climate change-based disasters like the massive floods in Pakistan that destroyed a wheat crop that usually feeds the majority of Europe and Asia (about two billion people). Those take 5-10 years to recover from. So you get companies elsewhere producing but choosing to sell to Asia for higher prices (with a bit extra off the top in new profit margins... surge pricing and all that!) which means prices for food go up everywhere. And as each area of the globe experiences more climate disasters (fire, drought, flood, freeze), it'll just get steadily worse. But it's okay because billionaires win in both directions. They make money on a failing economy as much as a successful one, and they will happily sell us the emergency solution to the problems they made money causing.

And sure a price will go down a little here or there, but never to the level it was at Before It Got Worse. This is just the new normal, until it gets worse again. We are in the long, slow decline right before the sudden failure of everything, the stuttering death rattle of capitalism, the rape after the seduction. We are subhuman to those in charge, fuel to be burned. But god forbid anyone protest about it or yell too loudly. We don't want the communal punishment the police state gives us after a protest.

We have already failed as a society. Capitalism is already a corpse; it just doesn't know it yet.

(sorry this might need to go in the Rock Bottom thread instead)

15. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

100% truth.

16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I suppose much of what you say is on target but Im still hopeful even at almost 73 that we can change some things for the better even if we have to provide for ourselves at a higher cost. With the apparent demise of globalism countries will have to find ways of providing for themselves and not be so dependent on imports I guess, which is too bad. There will always be greedy people and efforts to capitalize, and also different levels of poverty depending on how we manage things.
    Back in the 60's I had friends that tried the communal life For a while and I remember them telling me even under that approach there were those to were greedy and not wanting to pull their own weigh with work and contributions.

17. Everything Beagle

Greed is not a desirable trait in a person, and we lost our way as people when we started lionizing greed... of course that started thousands of years ago. I hate the idea that we are by our nature going to oppress ourselves.

Phatguysrule and Hoopguru like this.
  18. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I agree with much of what @Everything Beagle said except use of phrasing rape follows seduction. Rape and seduction are not comparable. One does not lead to the other.

19. Everything Beagle

Understood. I'll elaborate: capitalism started by promising prosperity to the middle class through labor. This is the seduction, the false promise of upward mobility. It's a seduction because the power dynamic between owner class and labor class is not equal, severely favoring the owner class making the false promises. But capitalism doesn't do that anymore. Now it takes and exploits without any thought to the well-being of the worker, indeed in many cases doing harm without consent. I didn't intend to imply one is the natural outcome of the other. But this started out with a false promise and has led to this place we're in now where naked exploitation is the norm.

I understand if the terms are still too loaded; they were intense on purpose, to get people to realize that this exploitation we're experiencing is coercive and non-consentual. I'll edit them if you prefer.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  20. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Yes. All you said is true. It's really the terminology that made my fur stand up and ears go back. We're good.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    Everything Beagle likes this.