How to keep Kanter?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is true, although it is why Morey lost Ariza to Phoenix last summer. But similar to what the Blazers were finally able to do this year, Morey (like all of LBJ's teams) they always seems to get vets for the minimum after the deadline to help down the stretch.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

We could use some temper on this team as long as its steered in the right direction.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They've both won championships way more recently than we've sniffed one....how many teams under the cap have won championships recently?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, right, sure....steer a temper for $800 alex

I'm always working hard trying to steer my wife's temper in the right direction, which is basically any direction but me....I've been trying, almost daily, for decades. I'll let you guys know the first time I'm successful

5. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

Why are we worrying about next year problems this year? I wouldn't even think about signing this guy until I see him play some 20 games. Remember Nic Stauskas first game? Also, we don't know how useful he might be against the Warriors, the Rockets, the Thunder, ... etc. The Pelicans made Nurk useless last playoff ...
    Don't discount Zach improving over the summer. We all know, he just needs to improve his footwork in the post.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  6. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

With all due respect, Kanter is not Nic Stauskas. Kanter was averaging 14 pts. and 10 rebounds with the Knicks. Those are numbers that Stauskas can only dream about.

We also don’t know how useful Collins will ever be in the playoffs.

As the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We have Kanter, we know what we can do, and in his first two games he’s already done better than Collins ever has. I hope Collins makes the third year leap like Layman has, but there’s no guarantee that he will.

7. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    When LeBron went back to Cleveland they had the #1 pick to trade for Love and then traded for guys they had bird rights to and therefore were able to go over the cap as much as they wanted to re-sign them.

We can do that with Aminu and Layman this summer. We CAN'T do that with Kanter, Hood, and Curry. It doesn't matter how anyone tries to site other examples with other teams. There are limits to what we can offer those guys and it's not very much. Please stop comparing it to situations that aren't equivalent.

8. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    It kind of highlights the absurd $10 Million/year that Leonard is getting.

Binx and oldmangrouch like this.
  9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Careful! Somebody might take that as a criticism of St Neil!

TBpup likes this.
  10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Everybody makes mistakes. I once made a one Million dollar mistake 35 years ago at Boeing. You shrug it off and try your very best not to do it again.
    When I was 17, I was with a bunch of kids who broke into a dynamite shack. Okay, it wasn't my idea and I did not help in any way with the caper. Also, we didn't take anything for which I was eternally grateful. I also use to drive while drunk. Were those dumb things? Absolutely but we all make stupid mistakes. I haven't drunk and driven in maybe 30 to 35 years. Wasn't a bad person, just a dumb one.
    I have to judge a person by other metrics than just results. So, I'm not going to condemn Olshey based just on Leonard.

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I'd sure like to find out!

12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

1.) Utah traded him for salary reasons.
    2.) OKC traded him to match Carmelos contract.
    3.) NYK got rid of him because he was too good for a tanking team and he wanted to play.

S...m...h...

13. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

Way too early to even think about signing him. I wouldn't even bother ... until the season is over.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Apples to oranges based on restricted free agent salary situations. Ww are not in the same position as those teams and dont have certain flexibilities they had.

15. oldmangrouch

Isn't that the point? Olshey doesn't get to play the "my hands are tied" card when he was the one who tied them!

wizenheimer likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Well okay but it doesnt change the situation. I thought the discussion was manueverability and what can be done to keep kanter.
    Not what was done in the past that limits our options?
    Thats another topic of discussion... that has been beaten to death in half the threads here.

17. oldmangrouch

Do other GMs circumvent the rules, or do they just understand them better and plan around them better?

18. oldmangrouch

Point taken. :cheers:

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I'm directly talking about the current situation in regards to keeping Kanter. Even if we fired Olshey and brought in the greatest GM of all-time (whoever that is) it wouldn't change what we can offer Kanter, Hood, and Curry this summer.

I've said numerous times since the trade deadline that it was a failure not to dump a contract this year. BUT as mentioned in this very thread, Olshey still has a chance to make the 2016 off season worth the 3 year wait. We can of course argue about the value of expiring contracts next year (I know they won't be as valuable as this year) and whether or not Olshey will fail at getting something for them anyway. As discussed there is still value in having a teeny tiny chance of pulling off something big versus simply trading a bunch of players and bad contracts so we can keep marginal players this summer.

20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I also find it kind of funny that you're basically accusing him of not setting this summer up like the summer of 2016 where he did plan for being able to re-sign all our own free agents and also have money to bring in a max contract too.

So lets say we did have bird rights on all our free agents. We sign Kanter for 3 years and $10 million a year. We sign Hood for like 2 years at $7 million a year. We sign Aminu for one year and $10 million. We sign Layman to a 4 year deal starting at about $8 million a year. Let Curry walk.

The luxury tax line is projected to be $132 million. Add in our 1st round pick and our salary next year would be about $163 million or an insane +$30 million into the tax. It's too early for math but I believe that would be about a $147 million tax payment so our total salary next season would be over $300 million.

For what? This current team isn't worth keeping together for that kind of money.

Wizard Mentor and Orion Bailey like this.