Trade Josh Hart traded to the Knicks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Feb 8, 2023.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Hard to say whether the Knicks win streak is a direct correlation to Hart. Too many variables. Would Randle of hit that game winning shot tonight, with or without Hart on the roster? Tough to tell.

Regardless, he wouldn’t re-sign with us. I just hope we got optimal value which I’m not sure we’ve gotten in most Cronin trades.

LayneStaley and Whyachi like this.
  2. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Let's just keep it really simple
    Knicks 8-0 with Josh Hart
    Blazers 1-4 without Josh Hart
    keep all variables out, except perhaps Portland's 1 victory was against the absolute worst team in the NBA, and Lillard put 71 point "reject this product" stamps all over the Houston Rockets.

3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Big picture: How would Portland have benefited from keeping Hart for an extra 25 games? We would've won a couple more games and got a worse draft pick?

There was no way he was getting re-signed this summer. Losing him for nothing would've been a disaster.

Haakzilla, BBert, Strenuus and 2 others like this.
  4. robe

robe Member

I don't see big picture. "Listen" is what I see again. Nurk contract is classic Olshey move. Give him money, because he is Portland's boy now. That was the only reason. Thybulle and Radish are classic Olshey move too. And forum is dreaming about next trade window stright after one is gone. And this is nothing new.
    New would be - going young or going all in.

Hart wanted to play basketball and he's gone, cos what Blazers are doing is fucking mistery, but it's not basketball related.
    What is not mistery, Blazers losing games after trading only guy, that was focused on playing basketball and doing his work every day. Not talking, modeling, rapping or cooking.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Whyachi and Fairly-Hard like this.
  5. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I really hate that "They had to trade him" stance. IMO you find a way to pay that man. I don't care if Jody has to have a Lawyer from Mar Lago send him a package with no return address on it.

UKRAINEFAN, Whyachi and robe like this.
  6. Fitz303

Fitz303 Well-Known Member

It's not that simple though.
    The Knicks were already trending upwards as a team. In the 20 games prior to Hart, they had wins over Philly, Boston, Cleveland, and Phoenix, and had a record above .500. Knicks 20 games before Hart: 11-9, against much harder competition. In this 8 game stretch, they have played 2 good teams in Boston and Miami (2 wins against the post Durant Nets, who are 3-7 in their last 10 doesn't count). Hart absolutely helps, there's no doubt about it. But this streak is not mainly due to Hart. They were already coming together well before Hart showed up. They're on a nice run right now, and Randle and Brunson are rolling.

Blazers last 20 games with Hart: 9-11. Blazers were sub .500 in the last 20 games WITH Hart

The more telling stat, and I'm not a Nurk fanatic, is that the Blazers are 3-9 in the last 12 games that Nurk has missed. They're 6-4 in the last 10 games that Nurk has played. MAYBE this has more to do with the fact that the Blazers are starting a 3rd string C, and have a backup "C" who is a year or so away from being in China.

Hart is missed, but not nearly to the level that they miss an actual Center on their roster.

HoopsFanAZ, Whyachi and Fairly-Hard like this.
  7. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

that's the Cronin disciples line. We don't know if Josh would get a better qualifying offer. We don't know if he wouldn't resign on Dame's team. Everyone knows Reddish was a salary filler, Knicks had already advertised a couple 2nd round picks for Cam.

Cronin desperately wanted a 1st round pick at the trade deadline, and it seems nobody wanted 3.3 years of Nurkic, and he wouldn't get hosed on Shaedon or Simons. Last call for a 1st round pick..... fine... take Josh Hart.

It's like Cronin got burned so bad on the Gary Payton deal, he's just completely given up on evaluating legit professionals. Cronin has crawled into his safe place shell, and just goes with the young guys with potential draft armada, because that's what he knows best.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I stopped after "I don't see big picture" since that read to me "I'm not paying attention to common sense" lol

RR7 likes this.
  9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Stopped reading after "cronin disciples line" since that read as "it's the common sense thing, but I'm just going to ignore it".

You don't have to outhink the room, it is right there. Luckily, I understood. :)

RR7 likes this.
  10. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Don’t have the capital to get the whale to go with Dame, Sharpe, and Grant? Then swim in the shallow waters to take the next shot. Don’t do that — get a big to patch the roster — then repeat not having draft capital again this summer? A sneaky bad hand to play.

IMHO, Nurkic not playing (and playing well enough) is culprit #2 in losses this year. #1 is not having a ‘finished’ roster, and admittedly so. It’s kinda obvious on the likely outgoing Blazers this summer … slightly less obvious than needing to sell off GP2 … MLE = 5 2nds? Yup.

Sharpe was a risk — Cronin swung away — Connected. It’s what they said they were going to do. They are on a 2-track timeline with Dame’s win-now and building with youth. They’re picking Dame. The cost isn’t cheap.

For this summer, Cronin got done with what he had to so that he’s not behind in the count. If he gets INCREDIBLY lucky this summer, we will be happy to say so. If he swings away and connects with the right vet, then it’s Dame-time.

riverman and Fairly-Hard like this.
  11. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Right—but sometimes teams just do a QO and that’s it. I’m saying I’d rather put a multi-year contract on the table unless there’s some sort of cap hold/trade chip strategy going on and you want an ‘expiring contract’ to match salary for the trade deadline. I think there’s some downside risk keeping a guy around that you don’t see as part of your future just because he’s a matching salary. Might as well bring in someone you really like/prefer/fits with the TPMLE instead.

12. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with Cronin. What makes you think ownership is giving the front office the green light to go well into the luxury tax for a bench player? This is a simple budget/accounting exercise, has nothing tno do with a discipleship.

If you want to wager that Hart doesn't get more money than his qualifying offer this summer, you name the bet and I'll accept!

13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Does Hart even have a QO? The guy has a player option, if he opts out it's my understanding that he's an unrestricted free agent. I do think that he will opt out and I do think he'll get more money next season than his option, plus more guaranteed years. I think he probably had a very honest conversation with Joe and told him he wasn't planning on being back here or at least not for the money the team was willing to give him and that is why he was traded.

HailBlazers, UKRAINEFAN and Tince like this.
  14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That's correct, it's a player option. And his next contract will be for more than that.

blazerkor likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hart can walk from the Knicks if he wants...I'm not sure that's what he wants. Thybulle is a solid replacement for him at a fraction of what it would cost to bring him back I'd think.

16. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Hart is coming off the bench in New York.
    Is he really going to cost that much?

17. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

with the cap going up, the number of good teams that could use a multi-tool player like him, his relative young age, and the dearth of free agent talent—yeah. Or at least, a bit more than he’s currently making.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He's going to get paid and be in demand on the market...I think the Knicks will lock him up and give him the bag

robe likes this.
  19. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Hart might be coming off the bench but he sure wasn’t sitting during those two OTs vs the Celtics.

Whyachi likes this.
  20. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Simon's mostly came off the bench for us last season right?

Harts older, but a way better defender. If Knicks win their second playoff series in decades he might get a fat check.

Whyachi likes this.