The super Melo to Portland thread + The Big Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BoomChakaLaka, Feb 17, 2011.

?

Should the Blazers puruse Carmelo Anthony?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not No but Hell No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Melo is mired in the most dysfunctional team in the league....how many coaching and roster changes? How much talent around him? I think he's tired of the culture .....33 is fine...he's not injury prone really. I think Stotts system is perfect for him...won't complain if we get him..he wouldn't be my first choice but if the rumor's true I can see it improving the team.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you're in game thread mode......I've never lobbied for Melo but if the deal is done I can see it working ....you still want to fire Stotts too I assume

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Gay's scoring isn't off of playing off of other players. He's an ISO scorer that creates his own most of the time, same with Melo. Cousins didn't really create shit for Gay, and Melo wouldn't really play off him either.

Forget I attacked Melo for being a loser then. He's still not a good player.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    This would be an extremely myopic move by Neil.

You build through the draft in this market. You don't trade the #15 in a deep draft for an aging player who's making supermax money.

TRADE. UP.

Darkwebs, dviss1, Pridan and 2 others like this.
  5. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

cousins demanding the teams rim defender and often double teams didn't affect gay's opportunities? sad

6. BonesJones

I don't like Stotts as a coach for this team. If this team had good individual defenders, then he'd be a great coach who'd only have to focus on offense. However, we don't, so we need a good defensive coach to produce a scheme that hides our defensive deficiencies, and who can improve our players as individual defenders. Stotts isn't that coach.

This is also why the Melo deal won't work. Even if his efficiency increases, he's still a horrible defender who will take shots away from players who I'd rather have shooting the ball (Lillard, CJ, Nurkic). I don't understand why I must support trading for Carmelo. I think it'd be the worst possible move this off-season, and I think it's weird how the same people that were complaining about our defense last year are supporting the idea of Carmelo on this team. If it actually happened, the same people would be complaining about his defense and his contract next off-season.

Darkwebs, RipCityDSCPL and Reep like this.
  7. BonesJones

For the most part, no. Gay got some open spot up jumpers because of Cousins, but Gay's offensive style is to create his own off the dribble in isolation and slashing plays.

8. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

cousins pulling the interior defenders out to the three point line should open up the driving lanes for a slasher I would think

riverman likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Sounds a lot like Denver fans talking about Nurkic before we signed him.....

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Exactly. Napier is good.

11. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Carmelo has an early termination option after next season, so this could basically be a one year rental. No way would I give up the #15 for that. Maybe #20 and Leonard....just because we're offloading Leonard.

BBert and BonesJones like this.
  12. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    #20: Jordan Bell
    #26: Semi Ojeleye

Fuck. I still don't want this Melo deal.

RipCityDSCPL and BonesJones like this.
  13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Yes he does and he was an All Star this year.

14. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That's not what you said. You said:

10 years in a row does not equal rarely, no matter how you try to backpedal now.

LOL, so which is it. Pretty hard for him to make the WCF when he's playing for the Knicks.

And, you didn't say he wasn't a winner. You said he's rarely played on a winning team which is factually incorrect.

Dame has never made the WCF. Is he also not a winner in your book?

To me, Carmelo to POR only makes sense if we also land Paul George - for many of the reasons you state, but he's not as bad as you're claiming. I've never been a fan, but can see him working as a PF next to Dame, C.J., PG13 and Nurk. He wouldn't be the No. 1 option on offense, or even the No. 2. A guy who's averaged over 20 ppg 15 years in a row is a pretty decent 3rd/4th option and would make it impossible for teams to double any of our other starters.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Sorry, I should've provided more context and said he's hardly played on a winning team since moving to New York, because that's the only thing that's relevant to me. What happened before 2011 doesn't matter. In the past 6 years, the Knicks have had a winning record twice. In the past 4 years, the Blazers have had 3 winning seasons, with the other one they were at .500. Lillard has won more playoff series in the past 4 years than Carmelo in the past 8. As far as playoff success, Carmelo is 2-8 in first round series. He made the WCF once in Denver, and lost in the first round every other year. He's a loser in the playoffs.

We need defense, badly. Carmelo would make us worse defensively when we were already awful. He's not efficient enough that I want him taking shots from our big 3. Nurkic can't single-handedly carry our defense. We need two-way players.

I see how he could be a help offensively, but I don't think he'd embrace being our 3rd scorer. I don't think he'd embrace the city of Portland. There's just so many reasons why getting Carmelo would be a problem.

16. BonesJones

Yeah, except Nurkic is a 22-year old that never got consistant starter minutes and Carmelo is a 13 year vet that's started every single year.

BBert likes this.
  17. BonesJones

In theory, but Gay only shot 23% of his shots at the rim, and not all of those shots are being helped by Cousins.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm not worried about age .....you're young...I want to be alive for the next championship....I like Stotts...I think he'd use Melo like he used Dirk....Dirk couldn't defend a chair either back in the day....Tim Duncan at 33 was beasting....I think we need vets....if Melo signs here the worst thing that could happen is we trade him down the road to the Clips.....if Melo is playing with talent...he'll up his game. I'm not a huge fan but I do see the logic in having him stretching the defense instead of Meyers. You want a younger guy....sure. I'm like some folks, tired of developing all young guys and struggling for the 8th seed....I also want a team that scares the Warriors. PFs ...a lot will be available...Kevin Love...no great defender...Lamarcus...no great defender...Blake Griffin...no great defender....so you get a Markief Morris who puts up Turner numbers....meh.....I understand the need for a defensive coordinator and when Melo played for Thibs...it showed. Popovich praised him after the Olympics...where Sabonis learned the game...didn't hurt his transition.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Dougnsalem likes this.
  19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Which is why I've said multiple times in this thread, that Melo to POR ONLY makes sense if we also get Paul George.

In the fantasy scenario I proposed, we'd add PG13, one of the best 2-way players in the game, we'd have Nurk as the rim protector in the starting line up with Kyle O'Quinn, an elite rim protector, backing him up. We'd also have Aminu and Turner, currently our two best perimeter defenders, coming off the bench, as well as Vonleh. In that scenario, our defense would be better than it is now for both the starting line up and the bench.

And, we'd also be adding two more 22+ ppg scorers to our starting line up. Yeah I know, only one ball, so not all of Dame, C.J., Melo and PG13 would average 22+ ppg, but that starting line up would be every bit as difficult to defend, even moreso, than GSW (since Nurk is so much better offensively than Zaza). Seriously, with Dame, C.J., PG13, Melo and Nurk, you can't afford to double team anyone, or even help off your man.

BNM

Darkwebs, Dougnsalem and riverman like this.
  20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member