OT What NBA players will "break out" this season?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Aug 4, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

nice to know you think my post was irrelevant....strangely you start a reply with a John McEnroe rant and then basically agree with what I said.....maybe it's my avatar?

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

?? Who is disagreeing with this? We don't know what he'll be in Brooklyn, but I'm glad he's there personally ...I wish him well.

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I was referring to his comment, not your post. I did read your post. My response just expounded on it to include the last two years, not just the first two years of Crabbe's career. And, that was my point. He is still largely the same player he's always been. He moved into a large role with more minutes and continued to do one thing very well, but has not added any new skills to his game. In order for him to have a breakout season, he will need to prove he can do more than knock down open 3-pointers.

When C.J. had his breakout year, it wasn't just a case of him getting more minutes. He got more minutes, but also improved his shooting percentages across the board (and did again last season) and his passing. With Crabbe already playing 28.5 MPG, he will need to similarly expand his game to have a breakout season. Another 6 or 7 MPG isn't going to be enough. He needs to expand his game and I have yet to see him do so in the four years he's been in the league. We all see how hard C.J. works on his handle, breaking down film and players' defensive tendencies during the offseason. Crabbe needs to do that to take the next step, but he just doesn't seem as driven as C.J.

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

@RipCityDSCPL

BNM

5. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

How about actually replying to the actual topic being discussed instead of rewording and qualifying every damn thing to fit your case or narrative?

I am going to give Crabbe the benefit of the doubt that there were extenuating circumstances while he was on the Blazers as to why he played the way he did and will be better now playing as a starter for the Nets. You obviously have a different point of view, as do several others on here. Fine. Just stop acting like a know it all or GOD and saying you know how Crabbe will play this season and the type of player he will be for the rest of his career. You don't know shit about it so stop acting like you do.

6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

So you're the only one allowed to ?

Boob-No-More likes this.
  7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Isolation is putting the ball in a player's hands for the purpose of breaking his defender down without involving his teammates. That's why it's called "isolation." Attacking close-outs when the ball is passed to you, getting into the paint and using skillful passes to create opportunities for teammates and shooting three-pointers off the dribble going around screens are all actions that the best team-oriented offenses (like the Warriors and Spurs) utilize and prize in as many of their players as possible. It has nothing to do with having five Kobe-like players who want to take the ball and spend the rest of the shot clock working one-on-one. Shooters who can't attack close-outs or shoot off the dribble are of limited value, as Crabbe was in Portland. There's no way Stotts wanted Crabbe to be less useful within his offense.

PtldPlatypus and Boob-No-More like this.
  8. RipCityDSCPL

The part of the comment I was making to @riverman was
    specifically about when Wes and Batum were on the team. If you wanted to 'expound your response' to include the last two years, you should have quoted the whole comment and not just the part where I was solely talking about Crabbe's rookie and second years in my reply to
    @riverman.

But maybe that's too much to ask from you.

9. RipCityDSCPL

Do I think he is a better player than he showed as a Blazer and but will now as a starter on the Nets?

Yes I do.

Do I know that he will be a better player than he showed as a Blazer and but will now as a starter on the Nets?

No I do not but I am willing to give him the chance to prove it either way to me first and that's the difference unlike some people.

Try again.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  10. Boob-No-More

It's called an opinion. You're entitled to yours. I'm entitled to mine. Mine is based on what I've observed in terms of his skill set and his improvement over the last four seasons. I may be wrong, time will tell. No need getting so pissed off about a future neither of us can predict with 100% accuracy.

BNM

11. RipCityDSCPL

You say you can't predict the future yet every time you say anything about Crabbe as a player you try your damnedest to do just that, so color me confused. :blink:

12. dead247

dead247 Well-Known Member

Liked x100

Dougnsalem likes this.
  13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You all have ruined this thread by arguing about Allen F#€%!^& Crabbe!

14. RipCityDSCPL

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

He is relevant to the topic of the thread.

:smiley-jumping:

Dougnsalem likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

No one can predict the future with 100% accuracy, but that shouldn't prevent us from sharing our predictions and expectations. I have opinions and stand behind them and back them up.

And stop accusing me of doing the exact same thing you do. You gush non-stop about how Crabbe is going to breakout, be an all star and average 20/6/4. You have strong opinions, too. I happen to disagree and you seem to take offense at that. If we all agreed on everything, we'd have very little to discuss.

BNM

SIeepwalker likes this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

Sure...75 posts ago. The rest of it is worthless speculative crap from all of you.

Just my opinion. Carry on as you were.

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Well, you liked my worthless crap, so it just goes to show that you have magnificent taste in worthless crap.

Also, this thread is nostalgia for all the many past threads ruined by arguing over AFC (Allen F'n Crabbe), back when he was still in our lives.

18. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

You are sexy when you are all worked up.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

Damn, you caught me. Yeah, your post exigeting isolation vs team-ball contribution was the undigested kernel of corn surrounded by the rest of the crap.

I still hate you all for arguing about AFC. Can't we talk about who's going to step up to fill the scoring void in Atlanta? I mean, it's gotta be Schroeder, right?

20. RipCityDSCPL

I'll say something to you my dad always said to me when I was a kid and still does now as an adult; It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Again, my first post on this thread about Crabbe was to @riverman. You then reply to my post and as you do every time when responding to me about anything positive I ever say about Crabbe, quickly work to discredit and invalidate my opinion and make yours the only logical, rational and correct one which I take offense to and then reply back to you expressing how much that offends me.

BonesJones likes this.