Event 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Nah. Portland wanted a center. Once they lost out on the chance to get Hakeem they settled on Bowie. Jordan was the better prospect but Blazers already had Drexler.

Teams draft for need all the time. This isn’t some hot take I’m making.

2. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Drew Eubanks hired an agent and entered the draft... lol wut

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

#Undrafted

4. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

#WelcomeToLithuania

5. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Josh Okogie could be a sneaky good pickup in the second round. Smallish offguard with tremendous defense and very young for a soph. I can see a little Bledsoe in him. Not a playmaker and little streaky shooter, but could run next to either Dame or CJ and defend opposing guards well.

6. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

They need a point guard as well and Doncic could easily fill that role. Remember that they are also going to have no. 15 and no. 16 picks from Miami and Milwaukee, they could easily get a quite decent big like Robert Williams there or they could even package those two picks together to move up and grab Wendell Carter or Jaren Jackson (there could be teams in the top 10 of the draft that would prefer two picks in the the mid 10-s than one on no. 7 or no. 8.). I even think that someone like Bamba or Carter would be a better fit for Phoenix than Ayton.

NBADraft.net predictions are all over the place. Doncic is no. 5, Bagley is no. 2. It makes no sense.

One draft selection that seems almost destined to happen is Mikal Bridges to Philadelphia. They will likely be picking at no. 10, there are several players who are bound to go above Bridges - it's just a matter of whether all of Young, Sexton, Carter and Porter go above him or not or will Philadelphia need to move up to get their hands on Mikal. He's like tailor made for their current roster. They have dozens of late firsts and second round picks that could easily move them from 10th to 7th or 8th though which should be all right.

7. BonesJones

Lmao. Carter better than Ayton? I'll have some of whatever the heck you've been smoking...

8. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Better fit, not better player. Ayton will be a better scorer than both but Carter stretches the floor better and is probably a better defender, Bamba is a better defender too. Of course you don't take either of them with no. 1 or no. 2 but if you can trade down and get additional assets, it might make sense.

Let me say it this way - I would probably rather take Doncic and then trade up for Carter and Bamba than take Ayton and then trade up for Young or Sexton.

I'd have Ayton on the Kings. I might be wrong though. On second thought, maybe they can actually pick up a half decent point guard prospect in 10s and Booker + Ayton would score tonnes. For all I know Ayton could be the next Embiid.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  9. BonesJones

You underrated Ayton more than any NBA scout out there. Dude was a solid defender in college, with the potential to be very good on that end. He's an absolute beast offensively that can score from anywhere in a variety of ways. Dude will be a 24 and 12 giy. Carter might be a 14 and 9 guy. Wht do you need a velvet that's restricted to 3pt shooting offensively...? It's a stretch to say Carter (0.5 on 1.2 per game) is that much better of a 3pt shooter than Ayton (0.3 on 1.0 per game).

The Sun's don't need to solve every position tks summer... they're the worst team in the league. Deciding who to draft #1 based off who you want to draft #12 is a horrible strategy. They can solve their PG problem in the next couple years, via draft or trade.

Doncic is also better as a secondary ball handler. I have questions about him being able to play PG on the NBA level. Being a secondary ball handler would be an easier transition for him. Sexton is a stud and better than Doncic defensively. But they can wait on their PG.

At #1 you go with the BPA. That's Ayton.

10. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

You might be correct. I haven't really seen that much of Ayton as college basketball is not easily available here.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Besides, if Phoenix get no. 1 pick and take Ayton, then if Atlanta get no. 2 they would be able to take Doncic and I feel they are the perfect destination to develop for him. Good coach, crap team where he will be able to run their entire offense and they could build around him for the foreseeable future.

I see a lot of top 10 players being a very nice fit for the teams that could take them. Sexton at Knicks, Young at Orlando, Bagley, Bamba or Jackson at Kings and Dallas. I have no idea what Grizzlies need though. I am not sure how much they are willing to move away from the Conley and Gasol set up. If they aren’t willing to deal either of them then I don’t like them taking any centers or point guards which is half of the top 10. Maybe Porter or Doncic if possible.

They should be dealing both though. Not sure if they can deal Conley and his contract though, actually maybe Suns would make sense as they can take on salary and don’t really have any perspectives to be able to use it well in the free agency.

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What makes you think he's out of shape? I don't agree.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is simply not true and hindsight is 20/20.

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

0E1823A1-2DE0-4D7F-9CAB-E40E5E3ADD9B.jpeg

CC4030F8-2BE0-4EB2-A7F7-2B2B3AEE34F0.jpeg

That’s what.

Even Hurd mentioned his weight loss recently since he’s in better shape now. It’s not hard to put on weight during the season when you’re not playing.

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

All the responses to this tweet make it seem like this is a ridiculous question. Is DD just a "flavor-of-the-week" based on his breakout tourney performance? I haven't watched him, so I have no idea one way or the other.

16. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

As for the debate between drafting for needs and drafting the best player available, I feel it hugely depends on the situation and the correct approach is somewhere between.

You can’t simply say you take the best player. If he plays the same position as your best player, and doesn’t really project to be better than him, it makes no sense. You are going to waste that talent. Either take someone else or trade down.

But if you are drafting for need but the best player available is miles better than the second best player, you also need to consider that. Maybe it’s better to actually create space for that player.

76ers are the best example. They took Okafor when they had Embiid and Noel because he was apparently BPA. It turned out he really wasn’t and once Embiid returned they couldn’t even give him any minutes. Waste of a pick when they could have had Porzingis or Booker who played in positions of need.

However a year before they took Embiid while having Noel, because he was the best player left but he also projected to be much better. It worked out.

rotary111 and GriLtCheeZ like this.
  17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

He's big, athletic and moves well so he has the potential to be pretty good at the typical big man things. Just don't think he has the IQ, instincts or mentality to be consistently impactful team defender. I also think his offensive role will affect him too.

Has all the tools to be an All Star, but if I'm building a championship level team, he's not really what I would want from my center. That's why I'm lower on him than most. But for teams drafting high that are starving for talent and need production, Ayton is a very safe bet.

18. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

So Meyers ?

19. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Definitely flavor of the week with hatred of Allen mixed in. I watched several Villanova games recently because I wanted to form my own opinions on Mikal Bridges and I kept wondering why Divincenzo was playing so much. He had a decent year but I'd be surprised if he ever became a rotation player in the NBA. I'm not a fan of Allen's game either and hope the Blazers stay away from both. Allen could be a role player in the right situation but that's best case scenario.

BonesJones likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Not a big Ayton fan either. The defensive concerns are real. If bigs aren’t dominant on that end in college the odds are high they won’t be very good defenders in the NBA. I’ve been on the Bamba train since seeing him at the hoop summit. I think his potential is crazy and would draft him over Ayton.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018