Politics The Scorching of California

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Still sticking with 1964 to find no snow, eh? A "mistake" that you continue making.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    No, for 1965 on this site they say they're missing data. So I went back a year. Going backward in time should only make the delta temperatures in your favor, supposedly. But they don't :)

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  4. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    To repeat, it should be 1975, not 1965 or 1964. If you're dyslexic, I understand, but you should refrain from climate change debates.

And if you're making the mistake on purpose, I understand that, too.

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    No, it should be 1965. The whole point is your post from 1975 complained about how hot it was in 1965 and now you have to wear a sweater in 1975.

The point is it's no warmer 50 years after 1965 for Bellingham. It's not shocking that some years you have an indian summer and others a harsh winter in between. You can talk about the weather but you can't do anything about it. I don't confuse the weather with global warming like you are with your anecdote.

You complain about "average" but the "average" says so. Or does "mean" have some other meaning? :)

6. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    You already changed your story from Oregon to Washington State, and I didn't call you out. Then I let you claim that I posted on this board in 1975. Now you repeat it, so I have to inform you, no, I didn't post in 1975 about 1965. I posted in 2015, comparing 2015 to the 70s, 80s, and 90s overall decades.

But I could be wrong. If you can find my post from 1975, I'll award you a doughnut.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I didn't say anything about washington state.

There is no post from 1975, but if there were, I nailed what it would have said.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    In 1964, you would have raked your leaves and they wouldn't have decayed just like in 2015. You wouldn't have had to wear a sweater in 1964, like you don't in 2015. That's the point.

It hasn't warmed where you are. The temperatures fluctuate. Sometimes it's warmer (1965, 2015), sometimes it's cooler (1970s, 80s, 90s).

If it were 20 degrees in 1964, 21 in 1965, 22 in 1966, etc., ever increasing to what it is in 2015, you might be on to something. Unfortunately, the data do not support your assertion.

Like I said, you can complain about the weather but you can't do anything about it.

9. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    You said you had checked Bellingham, in Oregon.

Winters are very noticeably warmer here than in the past. There are no ups and downs, just ups. When 2-week snows stopped about 5 years ago, they never returned. No downs on the graph, just ups. When the first winter without any snow at all happened last winter, it was followed this winter by again, no snow. The changes are permanent. No ups and downs.

10. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    I'm sitting here all night in bare feet. I just watered some potted plants on my front porch, in February, in my bare feet outside.

I'm tired of listening to neighbor dogs barking all year. They used to stay inside to keep warm.

I moved here from California to avoid all this sweating and B.O.

That does it. This sucks. I'm moving to Alaska, where men are men and sled dogs know their place.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Near term, Climate is prediction is about 90% Oceanography so I look to Scripps for the word, having studied there myself, when Dr. Van Dorn was the director. The oceans will rise despite Obama's promise, to slow the rise of the oceans.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientists-seek-strategy-to-convey-seriousn

The long term however, prediction has more to do with geological history. For several thousand years now, the oceans have been rising, just as they have before, in previous cycles of
    thaw, followed by glaciation. Looking at only Oceanography gives a skewed view.

Yes increasing CO2 in the atmosphere increases the temperature and that in turn causes more moisture possible in the atmosphere. Climate changes.

We know this cycle, we are in a known cycle. It appears devastating viewed in isolation, but the seas have already risen some 190 feet in this cycle, perhaps there is a bit more to go.
    Obama isn't going to stop that with a tax! Neither will Kitzhaber. If you know how to halt this cycle, by all means tell us! But please also tell what the long term affect will be.

12. jlprk

retired, while you work!
  13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I checked Bellingham in Washington. I didn't check anything about Washington state.

And your 1975 thread, you had a followup post saying "there used to not be snow, now there is. It's permanent."

I wouldn't give up your day job for the standup comedian one. People are supposed to laugh when you're trying to be funny, not the other way around.

And the other meaning of "mean" is what Progressives and anti-Reagan people are to poor people.

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Mt Rainer glaciers during the same time frame you're talking about, Denny.

[​IMG]

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    geez

what a difference a year can make!

[​IMG]

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You're comparing snow pack to glaciers?

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [​IMG]

Where did those glaciers go?

Global warming has been around for over 10,000 years. Enough to melt them all. Why should the warming stop and the melting stop?

I don't see how man can stop it. The proposition is simply an absurd one.

If people get into a panic, they might destroy the entire world's economy and our way of lives would be seriously impacted for the worse. The people who want to see this happen don't believe it for some reason. Or they do.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Anyhow, here's a recent picture of that same glacier:

[​IMG]

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    and 18000 years ago.

[​IMG]

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    The Maiankovitch Theory

"For the period from about 22,000 to 18,000 BP (Before Present), world temperatures fell lower than at any time since. And though the average temperature drop was just 10° F (6°C) colder than at present, it was enough to greatly shift the balance of winter snowfall and summer melting.

Why such long term ups and downs in the world climate? The causes are still poorly understood, but climatologists suspect a combination of reasons. The earth is not always the same distance from the sun, and it cools off at maximum distance. It periodically passes through clouds of cosmic dust, which block the sun's rays, as do major periods of volcanic eruptions. And the sun's energy, as shown by sunspot activity, fluctuates in a cyclic way.
    Evidence from nearshore seabottom core samples indicate that at least 17 “ice ages” have occurred during the past two million years. During the most recent one, alpine glaciers much larger than these flowed down from the mountains surrounding the Salish Sea. Moving at a rate of up to a mile every ten years, the glacial fronts advanced far down into the lowlands, widening many of the V shaped river valleys below us into classic U shaped glacial valleys. At the lowland ends of these valley glaciers, where melting eventually matched the foreward thrust, the ice front dropped long piles of rock debris (terminal moraines) as evidence of their massive presence.

Ironically, the alpine glaciers were already in full retreat, far back up into the mountains, when a great ice sheet began its invasion from the north... "

Then we have the earth change in tilt to fold in every 41000 years

I suspect the beat frequency of the two cycles produces the Glacial cycle. but I will never live long enough to prove it, however, I feel confident that no tax will change it.