What will it take for Chauncey to get fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Joe & Chauncey aren't going anywhere soon. They have at least 4-5 more years of rebuild in front of them with younger players added each year. Job security in a rebuild phase. Now, if they trade assets for a few more vets coupled with a youngster or two that pop, maybe 3-4 years?

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Boy, I thought _I_ was hard on Scoot!

3. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    And (crucially) Cronin.

4. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

5. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

I think we'll let Billups contract expire and let him walk. Jody is too cheap to fire him and pay for his contract and another coach's contract.

Whyachi likes this.
  6. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Jody's not "cheap". The Blazers are #11 in team salary. She bought a G-League team. She paid off Chauncey's good buddy Eric Bledsoe's retirement contract. She gave Cronin the OK to eat Skylar Mays remaining salary just to have a sneak peak at rookies Bouyea and Moore.

Jody even bought a new mascot for the Moda Center dammit.

Look... Jody took the best possible TV deal available at the time. She's providing the highest quality access to Blazer fans. ROOT blacking out games, and jacking up prices is not her fault. The other offers were far worse.

Trust *Danny Marang, he's the only person with true insider access and higher BB IQ then anyone in history

Jody cares, and she's not cheap. You're flat out wrong if you think so, and we'll continue loudly yelling straight into our microphones until your ears bleed and you're forced to switch the channel.

thanks for stopping by, Tune in next time to the Jacked Ramsey's Podcast.

7. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

Neither the current coach nor the next coach is worth any extra money when the roster looks like this.

8. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

I sense your sarcasm. But really, what evidence do we have that she is cheap?

Even if she were, he's on the 3rd year of a 5 year deal, with the 5th being a team option. So firing him would only result in them having to eat one year, and he's not even making much.

I highly doubt money is going to weigh into this. I'd be very surprised if he he comes back. If he does....fuck this team.

They probably wanted to give him a break, because it's tough to fire a guy when you're also intentionally tanking. But all the signs are there that he is not a good coach.

Tince likes this.
  9. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

As they should. You don't force a tank job on a coach and then fire him. That is bullshit. Give him a year where we don't "intentionally tank", and then by all means fire him if he struggles. And that year needs to be next year. Right now the only coach you will get to replace him is a re-tread or someone inexperienced and desperate for the job.

The Blazers have enough talent next year to make a run at the playoffs.....if they choose to. Time to stop sitting vets for fake injuries. The young players can still develop without starting.

This starting lineup is not that bad: (Not sure if we ever saw it)

PG: Brogdon (or Simons)
    SG: Sharpe (or Simons)
    SF: Grant
    PF: Walker (don't underestimate Walker, every team needs one lunch pail player in their starting unit)
    C: Ayton

I don't expect the new rookies to contribute next year, but I need to see who they are before I am ready to carve out minutes for them. And I
    understand the reasoning for trading Brogdon, but if we didn't I think we would be more competitive next year. And the extra future late 1st-round pick we might get for him does not currently excite me. Give Chauncey one more shot. The worse thing that can happen is we get one more lottery pick.

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Still exactly how long will Chauncey stick around for this? How many more press conferences will he be willing to give? How many more losses will he endure? How much longer can he stay positive in the face of another losing season?

11. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

They keep him unless (1) he loses the locker room and/or (2) they begin winning into the mediocre, play-in range and he then shows he cannot take them forward in a leap to 4 or 5.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  12. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that running Brogdon, Ant, Grant and Ayton next season will get Portland 35+ wins next season. Enough to have thoughts of the play in, or as I like to think of it, a ticket onto the treadmill. If Portland wants to do that then just trade the picks for even more veteran help to get them firmly onto the treadmill because purgatory is the outcome. If they want to really improve, all four of the above should be available for better assets that will contribute to future playoff runs, not play in games. Portland needs to clear the decks to suck for at least the next draft after the one coming up this June. I would hope for two more lottery drafts after this one if there are absolutely no true studs to be found in it. I think there are game changers in this draft, they all need playing time and development though. As to CB, why dump him? If they want to go onto the treadmill he is perfect. If they want to embrace full lottery rebuild for the next couple seasons after this one ends, he is also perfect with one guaranteed season and a team option. I honestly only want to bring Ayton back if there is not a good offer for him, and lets be honest, there will not be. Make hime the vet presence on a rebuilding team. Grant, Ant and Brogdon have trade value. Cronin just needs to find it. The current product is unwatchable, and will be for two more years.

HailBlazers and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    So why didn't it this season?
    Either: they genuinely are injury-prone, in which case why expect them to play any more games next season than this season?
    Or: we made them sit. But why? Tanking for the worst draft anyone can remember?

BIG Q likes this.
  14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Maybe there is a secret player out there that nobody has scouted and isn’t in any of the mock drafts that Portland wants to take with one of the top picks?

15. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

THIS year.
    1. Injuries in virus form … and the rest are too young/inexperienced. They weren’t going to win.
    2. Tanking for a bad draft versus maximizing wins in a bad draft and still losing a ton to get a ‘worser’ pick?
    3. The return from the Dame trade (followed by the Nurkic trade) isn’t done, yet. And the don’t just let Grant/talent walk for nothing keep-or-trade is pending. And the “we need someone to score” — Ant — but he probably won’t be staying scenario.
    4. And the Blazers do know how to tank and not get fined or lose a 2nd rounder for it.

BIG Q likes this.
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think it'll be very difficult to convince a hot up-and-coming coach to take the job until the organization has proven they are committed to winning. While I don't think Billups is an amazing coach, he hasn't really had an opportunity to show it, and the narrative when he's let go will be that he's a horrible coach. He may not get another head coaching job again for that reason alone. Great coaches won't come to Portland while they're floundering as well. That leaves meh retread coaching looking for one last big head coaching contract or very green assistants (see Billups) who may truly not be ready at all.

BIG Q likes this.
  17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Our next coach will be Scotty Brooks. The only question is how soon and for how long.

18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't think that'll happen, but he would fit in the category of a "meh" coach looking to get another head coaching salary.

As many of us reasonable folks have been saying for years: Fix the roster by getting top end talent, then worry about who the coach is. Some of these folks who thought the last coaching change was going to make some huge improvement still haven't learned that lesson.

19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Id love to see how Jim Moran would do a head coach in the NBA. He has a way with players and I like his enthusiasm and communicative skills. I would think within a year or two he will get an opportunity.

THE HCP likes this.
  20. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I stopped reading right here.

Whyachi likes this.