What will it take for Chauncey to get fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Joe bit his head off like a chocolate Easter bunny

Phatguysrule and PCmor7 like this.
  2. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Can somebody please fast-forward us through to then?

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Also makes me curious of coaches that started their careers out that bad but then once the roster gained competence they accelerated out of that list.

Ed O likes this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think his record has to be viewed with recognition that the team has been actively tanking the past 3 years. I'm actually of the opinion that it's pretty impressive that he's been willing to stick with it, given the crappy mission that he's been tasked with carrying out.

6. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think every coach on that list has reasons that they could have succeeded had the situation been different.

7. Whyachi

let's look at those unsuccessful coaching profiles compared to Billups ::

Keith Smart: assistant coach for many years. He'd take over as temp head coach for a year, maybe 2, after the front office fired people a bunch of people. Then Keith would go back to asst. coaching.

Jay Triano: same as above

David Fizdale: assistant coach for many years. Hired as HC for Memphis, fired midway though 2nd season. Hired as HC for Knicks, again fired midseason in 2nd year. Currently an asst. coach.

Richie Adubato: assistant coach for many years, with 1 bad season as HC with old 70's Pistons squad. Hired in '89 to coach the Mavs. For 3 years Dallas stunk, then Richie got canned after a 2-27 start to year 4. He returned to asst. coaching, with a breif and successful temp HC coaching run with Orlando.

George Irvine: assistant coach for many years, hired as HC for the Pacers. They stunk, George was fired after rough start in year 3. returned to asst. coaching for many years, with 1.5 years as temp HC for '99 Pistons before retiring.

Johnny Davis: asst coach for 24 years. 3 gigs as HC. It doesn't look like he got fired midseason.

John "Red" Kerr: old school 60's retro NBA. He gets a pass for being a pioneer of the sport.

Bill Mussleman: dope college coach. Cavs hired him, fired him. He coached expansion T-wolves, then went back to college coaching.

Eddie Donovan: early 60's HC for the Knicks. Bringing this thing called NBA to sports fans. Good job Eddie

Ron Rothstien: asst coach for 6 years, hired as HC for hot new expansion team called the Miami Heat. Was let go after 3 years. Hired to coach Pistons 1 year, a near .500 record. Returned to asst. coaching, a very long career.

Kurt Rambis: Lakers assistant coach for a long time. 1 short successful stint as interim HC. Got hired by Timberworves to run the show. Minnesota was absolutely horrible. Rambis returned to asst. coaching.

Tim Floyd: stepped down from Front Office to coach the Bulls following Jordan's retirement. Chicago cut loose every player except Ron Harper and Toni Kukoc. The Bulls were terrible, but stacked with gold rings. Tim had 1 decent year coaching for New Orleans

Sydney Lowe: assistant for many many years. 2 temp HC spots with expansion T-Wolves and expansion Grizzlies.

Steve Silas: assistant NBA coach for 20 years. The crummy Rockets hired him as rebuilder coach in 2020. Houston never improved. Steve was then hired as Pistons asst.coach

the theme of bad records head coaches is many years of assistant coaching experience before grabbing the wheel. Chauncey had 1 year of assistant coaching. Whether that's a benefit or hindering growth has yet to be determined.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Phatguysrule and Ed O like this.
  8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Well, sure, but the Blazers are deliberately trying to lose. That’s pretty different than having to deal with injuries (which the Blazers have too) or some other reason that reduces your winning percentage.

9. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I can't wait until we get a coach we can try to win with.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Sure, but that probably won’t come until we get a team worth coaching.

Phatguysrule and Pinwheel1 like this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Hate is strong on here! My guy makes the HALL OF FAME as a player today and NOTHING! Where are all the “Anybody is better than Stotts” people as well? Never hear form them anymore.

e_blazer likes this.
  12. Phatguysrule

We should have never fired Stotts until we found a guaranteed better coach to replace him (not an easy task, IMO).

That was my stance the whole time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    riverman and THE HCP like this.
  13. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I think it's a bit reductive to categorize either 21-22 or 22-23 as active tanking seasons. Both years started out ostensibly as win-now campaigns, and it was just some combination of injuries and incompetence that led to the tank wheels coming on by March. This year is the first true rebuild season where losing was basically the directive or the expectation throughout.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't see the point in keeping him next year, unless we're going wholesale tank to try to get Flagg.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. Whyachi

as I perused the bad record head coaches, I noticed a distinct feature. All the coaches who were let go as HC returned to assistant coaching. If the Blazers decide to make a coaching change, Billups is not banned from the NBA. On the contrary, Chauncey has gained a ton of experience developing young players, which would benefit every team in the association.

kjironman1 likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

there needed to be major changes

I was never one of those that blamed Stotts for major issues, or at least not for most of them. I do think the Blazers being 3rd seeds in 2018 and getting swept by the Pelicans was a giant black eye for Stotts and it would have been justified to fire him for that

but mainly the failures of the Stotts era were due to Neil Olshey being a pompous ego-driven idiot. What should have happened was that Olshey got his ass fired and the new GM allowed to decide what happened with Stotts. Olshey should have never been given the opportunity to scapegoat Stotts and hire Billups. That the process was bollixed and back-asswards is on Jody and the Vulcans

I'd wonder if any NBA team will ever hire Olshey in any capacity again

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  17. Phatguysrule

My problem with that is that the Pelicans were the clearly better team than Portland. When they had Davis healthy they killed us in the regular season... Pelicans probably should have been a 1 or 2 seed if Davis had been healthy all season. They would have certainly been ahead of Portland. That was just a terrible matchup and I don't think any coach in the league would have coached portland to more than a win. They had Rondo and Holiday (probably the 2 best defenders Dame has ever played against), and they had both Cousins and Davis.

We had NO chance in that series.

Olshey should have been fired LONG before being allowed to fire the best thing the team had going for it outside of Damien Lillard. I'd take Stotts back right now if he were willing to come back.

18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

??

Davis played 75 games that season which was 2 more games than Dame played and as many games as he's ever played in a season. AD played 3 of 4 games against the Blazers and Portland was 2-1 in those 3 games so there was no clear indication that a 'healthy' Davis was going to put Portland at such a disadvantage.

besides that, Portland had HCA...and they got swept. Pretty hard to excuse that

blazerkor likes this.
  19. Phatguysrule

From my recollection Davis left both of the games Portland won with injury (and the Pels were up when he went out), and he was playing limited minutes for them the 2nd half of the season. I distinctly remember thinking our only hope in that series was a Davis injury. I was not at all surprised we were swept.

All of that aside. How in the hell were we supposed to match up with Cousins and Davis, while Dame and CJ was being hounded by Rondo or Holiday? Even if we were lucky enough to get a game or two during the regular season, there was no coaching move that was going to put us over the top more than once against that team during the playoffs if they were healthy.

Chief would have had to play like a freaking all star. And that was NEVER going to happen.

20. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I prefer Billups defensive mindset.