Event The "OFFICIAL" 2017 NBA draft thread - Feb. 2017 edition

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Dec 22, 2016.

1. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Agreed but once you get outside the top 5 picks it is almost folly to try to prognosticate. I think there is a good chance we trade one of our picks anyways.

2. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

It's hard to know where this team should go in the draft until we see what Neil does at the deadline, but I'd be fine with these two picks although I'd aim higher than TJ Leaf if we end up with the 11-13 pick. I like him, but I think he's a tier down from the guys that would be available in that range, minus any surprise returning freshman.

Donovan Mitchell fits the Marcus Smart archetype as a guy that should have the strength and length to guard both guard spots effectively in time and be a secondary ball handler while hitting spot 3's at a reasonable rate. The main differences between him and Smart is that Mitchell doesn't have the balls to the wall competitiveness, but I like his potential as a shooter (cleaner mechanics) considerably more. Mitchell shares Smart's weakness of being a below average one-footed jumper which limits his finishing potential.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    The PG quality this year is on par with the CP3/Williams draft.

I like all three but I'm definitely leaning towards Lonzo Ball.

Chris Craig likes this.
  4. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

I been watching few college games Patton, Allen from Texas looks good. Giles if he can be clear medically so far that who I like for our 1st pick of course that can change more I watch. 2nd is Hart this kid can be a guard with Dame and CJ.

BigGameDamian and BonesJones like this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Lonzo Ball will be a bust.

6. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Johnathan Isaac should be the target. He's going to be a force in the NBA like Durant.
    I really like Hart for the second pick, but think we ought to go with Swanigan

7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This.

BonesJones likes this.
  8. Trackjack

Isaac suppose to go in the top 10 and we will be looking properly 11-15 so more likely he will be off the board.

BonesJones likes this.
  9. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Has there been much talk here about Dillon Brooks? He's listed as a forward, but he looks and plays like a big combo guard, in my opinion. I was surprised to see him pegged in the 50s on the draft boards. I could easily see him starting alongside Dame or CJ if we decide to blow up the midget experiment and trade one for a legitimate big.

I could do without the atrocious flops, but he's already working on his NBA head jerk foul baiting.

rotary111 likes this.
  10. Trackjack

I like Dillon also but if we can buy into the 2nd round he would be nice pick up but the player I really like is his team mate is Bell. Pretty good rim protector not bad defender. Need to work on his foot work on his low post moves but he nice player.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  11. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Not if we do a proper tank job.:cheers:
    Unfortunately, I don't see that happening - so you're probably correct.

12. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Dillon is a really good basketball player and I like the edge he plays with (alpha personality) but it all comes down to the shot with him. His mechanics are bad which lead to him getting poor rotation on the ball. It's a big enough issue that unless he makes a change, he'll never be more than a below average shooter and could very likely be bad in that area.

His extremely short wingspan also scares people (he's like a -2" guy), but he's a good vertical athlete and has the strength to keep it from killing his potential as finisher.

I like him in the 2nd round so he'd be more so a guy you trade for. There are better options in the late first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    BonesJones likes this.
  13. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

The alpha mentality is the main reason I think he'll be a far better pro than his current draft position suggests. The guys that pan out, you can usually look back and see that quality and wonder why no one made much of it at the time. Tim Hardaway comes to mind, who somewhat ironically, I really liked his son a few years ago as a back court compliment to Lillard.

Brooks reminds me of Westbrook -- not because of the name similarity which I just now noticed -- another guy who is way better than many thought possible in college, and not the purest shooter but a good scorer.

I read that concern in his draft profile, but they were looking at him as a PF. As a 6'6" combo guard with good strength and explosiveness, who cares? Roy didn't seem to have great length, and Brooks is probably a bit bigger.

I like his upside enough that I'd be pretty nervous letting him slide past the Cleveland pick. Someone like a San Antonio might just make you regret it.

14. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I am a huge Duck backer and watch that team every game. Out of all the players If take a chance on I'd go with Bell. He was literally just a guy who could jump out of the gym and now has become a complete player, just great basketball intellect and with some nice moves around the basket. Give him a couple of years to adjust to the league and I guarantee he'd do something. He just needs to develop his jumper.
    Pepole are more set on Boucher and Brooks. I don't know. I see Brooks as more a Simon/O'Bannon type college star. And while Boucher offers a nice defensive game with a good three point shot, he's going to get killed if he doesn't put on some weight. Most Ducks fans will probably think I'm nuts but Kavell Bigby-Williams could have the most potential out of all the Ducks bigs if he'd just started younger! But his hands are made of stone. He'll be a defensive stopper at best.

15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Boucher could probably be a good 3 and D power forward in the NBA. I see him as an Ibaka type, especially if he can add weight.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  16. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Boucher is already 24. If his body had the ability to put on weight, it would've already happened.

Jonathan Motley is the big like with our late first.

His strength and reach plays at the 5 and has the handle and craft to be effective in traffic despite being a below average vertical athlete. Biggest reason I think he fits is that he generally makes good decisions out of the short roll and has the touch around the basket to score outside the restricted area. I also think he has a chance to be pretty devastating in the post if teams decide to switch. His shot mechanics also give me the hope that he might be able to stretch more than he's shown at Baylor.

My biggest question with him is that playing in a zone at Baylor makes it harder to evaluate his defense. But I think he has the physical tools to be average here with room to grow.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

The more I research this draft, the more I see a talent drop off after the top 22-23 picks, making picking up Memphis's pick that much more valuable whether use it or trade it.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    Every year it seems like some talented guy drops to the end of the 1st or top of the second. We will be sitting there waiting....with at least 2 picks.

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I am also a huge duck fan and watch every game. Boucher is a late 2nd round pick at best. I doubt he makes it in the NBA. He is still only about 200 lbs. Not sure he can add weight.

As for Brooks, I said last year he would never make it unless he became an excellent 3 pt shooter. Well he has dramatically improved in that area and now has a chance, but with his short wing span (6'4.5") he is kind of a tweener. Not sure he can stay with quicker guards so at about 220 he will have to play SF and he is just not long enough.

Bell has improved quite a bit this year. Has added a a reliable mid range shot, although he rarely takes it. He is strong and a quick leaper which offsets his lack of height. (6'9" in shoes) But he is a solid defender inside, and is quick enough to guard a stretch 4. I would take a chance on him with Cleveland's pick....if we keep it.

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Hard to say because I have no idea about the international players. But looking at this mock there are some players in the 2nd round who could go earlier:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

I would not want Grayson Allen but someone will. Also Alonzo Trier could be a sleeper. And there are always additional freshman who will leave early that are not ready, but will be in 3 years. The draft is not for next year, but for 3 years down the road.