Wiggins for Love or Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Honestly, I don't think Love is worth Wiggins. How does Minnesota have any leverage whatsoever? He has said he wants out. He's going to leave in free agency.

2. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I don't think the Cavs are trading Varajao. He is one of LBJ best friends and he has already about how excited he is to play with him again and pretty much every deal the cavs do LBJ will have to sign off on.

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Minnesota might not have much leverage, but Cleveland doesn't have any real leverage either in it. outside of dumping the roster, they don't have cap space to just sign love next season. And even if they did it'd be wasting one year of LeBron

4. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Love is definitely worth Wiggins and whatever else Cleveland has to give up for him. Love is a top 10 caliber player and may not play much D but could be motivated to learn to play it better on a winning team. Wiggins could be great and turn out to be better then Love in the long run but love is still 25 and if you resign him you'v got love locked up long term and that would be my favorites to win the championship every year.
    Also wiggins hasnt even played an NBA game yet, he could be amazing and I do think he is going to be great, but at the moment he is another Gerald Green. I'd trade for a star and All-star/all NBA player for the next 5 years over an unknown.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes! That's the bid problem with love, he can't play defense inside so Cleveland will need a center on the floor. Bosh could play the 5 which gave Miami shooters everywhere. LeBron is awesome at PF so pairing him with love is redundant. Wiggins can guard multiple positions so defensively the Cavs would be far superior this year without love. Two years from now they would hate this trade.

6. Natebishop3

Golden State is supposedly offering Klay Thompson (who is essentially Wes Matthews with more hype) and David Lee. That's the kind of deal that Minnesota was looking at before this whole Wiggins thing happened. If Wiggins is actually available, I would take him and run if I was Minnesota.

7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Leverage also depends on how much the other team wants/needs the player in trade (which RR7 addressed) and also how many teams are bidding. We don't really know the second thing. Just knowing that an entity has to sell/lose an asset eventually only lowers the initial bid. If no one else is bidding, it's tough luck and that low initial bid won't rise. But if many others are bidding, it'll rise normally as you're no longer competing with Minnesota, you're competing with all the other Love suitors.

8. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I'v read a lot of the rumor mill surrounding that and Minny liked the GSW deal because they don't want to suck, everyone knows getting Lee/Klay wont get them into the playoffs, but supposedly they think it will, and they are 27th in attendance and that owner wants to sell tickets. They dont' want to rebuild but if your offering up Wiggins, someone who will get people to buy tickets, then they of course will jump on it.

9. Natebishop3

The problem is, Minny is constricted by who Love will actually re-sign with. If he comes out and says, "you can trade for me, but I won't sign with you," can a team take that chance? I think that's why LeBron has been trying to recruit him.

10. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

If Wiggins is as good as many feel he is and I'm sure he is. It should come to Kevin Love and 'what' for Andrew Wiggins. Another player or two? Draft picks?

If I was Cleveland. I would take any package that doesn't include LeBron, Andrew, Kyrie and position it with one or all of their first round draft picks for next year and say this is it.

11. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Absolutely. There are a lot of variables, like how many teams are bidding, what they'd be willing to give up, Love's own input as to which teams he's amenable to re-signing with (if any). So we really don't know what Minnesota's leverage is. It could be anything from zero to plenty.

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

They're only constricted by what a team will offer them. I don't think a team can talk to him and ask if he'll sign. If a team will give them something, it's not their problem if he leaves

13. Natebishop3

Teams can talk to him if Minny gives them permission, which I'm sure would be a requirement. I don't think Golden State would be trying to acquire him if they didn't have some kind of assurance that he would re-sign with them.

14. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Unless rules have changed since 2007, which is possible since there's been a new CBA but I don't see why the rules for this would have changed, teams can extend-and-trade a player, allowing the team they're trading the player to to work out an extension with the player that only takes effect if the player is traded to that team within 48 hours of the extension.

Link

15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Sure but I imagine an extension for him is as bad am idea as an extension due Aldridge in that they lose money on it

16. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Love isnt looking at a five year deal with the cavs thats going to LBJ. Also your extensions max amount is based off of the contract your extending and Love has max contract while LA didnt have a max.

17. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Any vet on the team can get a 5 year deal. The one you're thinking of pertains to rookie extensions.

18. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Ah I thought it was one 5 year max rookie deal and one five year max vet deal

19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Rumors according to tweets (posted in summer NBA thread)

-Lebron has reached out to Love for them to play together

-Clev at first said no wiggins but rumor is they re now offering wiggins

-Love not willing to sign extension now (same issue as LA) but open to the idea of playing with Lebron long term

-GS still wants Love and not concerned about him leaving after end of yr but still stay firm on not offering Klay

20. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

This Lebron for Wiggins isn't just debated here:

Jason Lloyd: Fascinating how polarizing debate is among league execs over whether #Cavs should trade Wiggins for Love. Strong opinions on both sides