Politics "Sanctuary State" law

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PtldPlatypus, Jun 12, 2018.

1. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Wanna ask why I don't think there's tons of illegals using welfare at Winco?

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Limited variety of beans?

3. bodyman5000 and 1

That's racist. And,Nope. NV releases benefits on the first of the month and doesn't stagger it like Oregon does.

The clientele at Winco on a weekend that coincides with the release of benefits is mostly young white girls with 4 kids and black families. It isn't racist to SEE the difference from a weekend during the middle of the month. It is just obviously different if you pay attention to your surroundings.

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You’re a pit bull when you get to debating social stuff, dviss1. I’m not advocating either way here, just looking for some actual information to throw some light on a very dark subject. BTW, that $12 billion figure was pushed by Maria Teresa Kumar of Voto Latino. She was talking about Social Security taxes and forgot to mention that employers pay half of that. Politifact rated that statement as accurate, but doesn’t really explain that conclusion in light of the employer contribution issue. It should be noted that the money goes into the Social Security kitty, not general health care (other than Medicare). Certainly, they don’t get much benefit for that money.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/oct/02/maria-teresa- /how-much-do-undocumented-immigrants-pay-taxes/

They also pay for a little under $12 billion of state and local taxes according to Politifact, but they do get benefits for that money in the form of public school, roads, police, etc.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Here's a question for folks....has an illegal immigrant bothered you or had a negative impact on your life? My answer in Oregon is …..no....not in the slightest..

dviss1 likes this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Schools, roads and police are Regular things that need to be paid for. The Commons. We're doing a poor job of paying for that with or without their tax money. Long as we don't end up with segregated roads like Israel...

[​IMG]

7. bodyman5000 and 1

An illegal immigrant almost took both of my uncle's feet and cost him everything he owned. No insurance driving someone else's car recklessly and pushing a 20 inch Dodge Ram wheel through the floor and crushing my uncle's feet. If we're going to be emotional about it I think that's worse than mean people saying things to someone.

Illegal immigrants directly cause my wages to be lower and housing costs to be higher. We have how many homeless people in this country? There is no logical reason to encourage illegal immigration.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

My thing is... If you come here legally, youre welcome here. If you knowingly get to this country, then when you get caught either become legal or sorry but youre out.

But, they are still a person and wish them the best and wish there was a way to take care of them back in their home country. Some places are awful. I get all sides of it. :(

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I’m all for legal immigration. This country was built on it and has benefited from a diverse population. The problem is that the legal immigration system is broken and nobody really wants to fix it. Both sides benefit from playing on the issue as red meat for their base. We truly deserve this mess for being willing to elect divisive politicians of all stripes.

barfo and riverman like this.
  10. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    The purpose of the law is to assure that undocumented folks aren't afraid of getting deported when they provide information that may solve a crime. Without this law a whole lot of witnesses are going to stay home and provide no vital information about some crimes including some gruesome ones.

No one is objecting to the Feds doing their job. Just don't expect local law enforcement to screw up their crime investigations.

11. Lanny

That's a one in a million deal. I've never known of an undocumented person obtaining such benefits. In fact, I never see someone in the grocery store using food stamps or the computerized equivalent more than 2 or 3 times a year.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    20 percent of Oregon households get assistance buying food.

13. Lanny

I must not live in their neighborhoods. We do shop at Winco from time to time in Beaverton and in Tigard. Still haven't seen it in years.

Now, I live in upscale Lake Oswego and never run into it there, ever.

14. Lanny

Good grief, that's an eye opener.

15. bodyman5000 and 1

There are only two Wincos in the Las Vegas area. I almost screamed with joy when I heard they were building here.

I don't think many illegals try to get the measley benefits considering the risk vs reward.

I really don't care if they do occasionally. I care about the jobs they take from people here legally.

The Democrat LLC wants votes and the Republican LLC wants cheap labor. Neither of them have our interests at heart.

16. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Had a funny experience this last weekend.

Stopped into a grocery store, but I picked a busy time. The checkout line was longer than normal.

I noticed everyone in front of me was paying with the food assistance debit card.

When it was my turn, I jokingly ask the cashier if she still took cash.

She laughed, then said sure, but the kids do not know anything about that.

Too funny, but sad at the same time.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  17. bodyman5000 and 1

We try to go early in the morning on the weekends when the benefits replenish. If you go after 11am it is a madhouse. Almost every line is open compared to a 3rd at most in the middle of the month.

18. Lanny

I sold a home a few years ago. I had a lot of work done to remodel it so I could get top dollar. Most of the workers had spanish accents. They were the best workers I've ever seen One Latino was the boss of a crew that included a couple of American Caucasians. They really liked their boss. Their work was almost but not quite as good as the Latinos.

It's hard to find others who will do the type of work that Latinos will do and do it as good.

We had a yard care service in our last house and that crew was excellent. The crew we've got now is also Latino but not quite as good as the other crew. The other crew serviced the Aloha area but not Lake Oswego or we would have kept them in a heart beat.

Interviewed a maid service and that lady who was the boss was a Latina. She looked like she knew her profession and wanted a reasonable rate but my wife wants to do the housecleaning herself. Now, she's just to old to do all that work by herself so I'm going to look for another maid service. I'll bet that all the companies have either East Europeans or Latinos to do the work We keep our house pretty clean so there's not a whole lot for such a service to do.

The other day we bought 3 units of bark dust. She got her girlfriend and her girlfriend's husband to help spread it but she did at least half the work. Now, she's been sore for a week. Gotta get a Latino crew to do that hot dirty work.

All the Latinos I've encountered have been hard working and extremely polite. The guys that remodeled my last home used to call me Senior. My wife always offers some refreshment, it's a Korean custom, also a custom of the deep South from where my family comes from. They were so appreciated of a cold drink of water or a cold soft drink. When did a special job, even now, she gives them lunch money. Very appreciative people.

riverman likes this.
  19. Lanny

Yet, I never see it.

riverman likes this.
  20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Right dog. I see you in that odd place again. Actually intending to go for the backhand insult. No need dog, it dose not work well.

PS You have to know it is off, dviss likes it.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.